is sheffield as safe as it was years ago?

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

There's no area of Sheffield I wouldn't - or indeed haven't - walk through.

Yes, incidents happen, but it isn't the norm. There aren't any no-go areas. Nowhere is as bad as online discourse makes it sound (and that isn't isolated to Sheffield - go on any Facebook group for a city and you'll see the same comments about areas in every place across the country).

I partly agree but as to whether places feel unsafe it rather depends on the time of day and personal vulnerability.  

• Like 1

The problem with this question is that someone can post some stats and show that it is statistically safer, more unsafe, safer than other cities at this time, or that time. 

It's more a question of perception, and perception of safety is more about experience and influence from other sources (social media/friends/ etc.)

It also just says 'Sheffield' which doesn't account for the fact that Sheffield has a lot of areas with huge differences.

Ask yourself this. If someone gave you a choice of going for a walk around Page Hall for an hour late at night, or going for a walk in Fulwood... which would you choose? 

If, as some of you will say, 'I don't care, either', I'd alter the question to allowing your teenager son or daughter.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

The problem with this question is that someone can post some stats and show that it is statistically safer, more unsafe, safer than other cities at this time, or that time. 

It's more a question of perception, and perception of safety is more about experience and influence from other sources (social media/friends/ etc.)

It also just says 'Sheffield' which doesn't account for the fact that Sheffield has a lot of areas with huge differences.

Ask yourself this. If someone gave you a choice of going for a walk around Page Hall for an hour late at night, or going for a walk in Fulwood... which would you choose? 

If, as some of you will say, 'I don't care, either', I'd alter the question to allowing your teenager son or daughter.

It depends where you live of course.  Someone who lives in a ‘nice’ and sometimes walks through an area with a less nice reputation sometimes during the daytime, isn’t going to see the full picture in the same way a local resident does.  

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

It depends where you live of course.  Someone who lives in a ‘nice’ and sometimes walks through an area with a less nice reputation sometimes during the daytime, isn’t going to see the full picture in the same way a local resident does.  

'Nice' area and 'less nice reputation' is also not the same. 

Before the pandemic, I felt perfectly safe in Foxhill where I lived even though it has a less nice reputation.

During the pandemic the place quickly became lawless in the space of a few months, and my perspective and the actual reality was that it was less safe. 

Endcliffe park recently had a similar situation (though I only read in here), that a seemingly 'nice' area was suddenly less safe due to (what I read) a family causing disruption. 

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Depends on the teenager. My teenagers walk around Pitsmoor because they live here. Oldest goes to the gym late and sometimes isn't back until 11 - no issues. I wouldn't let the younger one do that but in a few years I would. Neither of them are in the remotest bit interested in looking for trouble, which of course helps.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

'Nice' area and 'less nice reputation' is also not the same. 

Before the pandemic, I felt perfectly safe in Foxhill where I lived even though it has a less nice reputation.

During the pandemic the place quickly became lawless in the space of a few months, and my perspective and the actual reality was that it was less safe. 

Endcliffe park recently had a similar situation (though I only read in here), that a seemingly 'nice' area was suddenly less safe due to (what I read) a family causing disruption.  

I used ‘nice’ and ‘less nice’ and didn’t give examples of areas because I don’t want to cause offence to people living in areas with higher crime rates. I was thinking about an area I used to work close to, that didn’t have the best reputation, but I never felt unsafe passing through there in the daytime.  But clearly there were problems with crime in the area.  I remember a shooting happened one night around that time for example.  My experience of feeling safe passing through in the daytime wasn’t necessarily the same as for someone who lived there.

The Endcliffe park issue you refer to was due to a problem family being moved to a house there by the council as I understand it. It caused a stir because it’s unusual for the area and the family were subsequently moved.  I don’t think the council will want to risk moving a similar family there any time soon. I also imagine other areas have a lot of families of that nature and law abiding locals  end up having to put up and shut up.

• Like 2

yes thats the problem you live on a nice street ,then all of a sudden  a bad set move in ,they attract other wrong uns and all of a sudden a few move out and thats a nice street gone, the council are not bothered.

Just now, bassett one said:

yes thats the problem you live on a nice street ,then all of a sudden  a bad set move in ,they attract other wrong uns and all of a sudden a few move out and thats a nice street gone, the council are not bothered.

What is the council's responsibility in this scenario?

Isn't it largely a police matter if somebody is being anti-social (council housing aside)?