What is the solution to UK prisons running out of room?

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Build more prisons.

Employ ex police and ex armed services as prison guards.

Make the prisoners work for their upkeep.

Make living conditions hard. 

Give proper training/education to the prisoners who do as they are told, don't break the rules and who Want to learn. 

As I said,  let them build the prisons,  even help to build new houses,  they could be being trained as apprentices now,  why waste time,  it would mean

costs would be cut.

48 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Just legalise cannabis FFS, that alone would free up plenty of space and save a ton of money that could be better spent.

I don't think the prisons are full because of folk being caught smoking a joint, rather big time dealers who would be selling some other kind of drug if it were made legal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Reform is needed with severe punishments 

The issue is that no-one really fears prison anymore. 

people havent really feared prison.....ever?, we used to send people to Australia did we see no crime? we had the death penalty did we see a reduction in crime? we had hard labour did we see no crime? we had overcrowded old victorian prisons did we see no crime?

• Like 2

According to this link  https://www.statista.com/chart/31061/highest-prisoner-rates-in-western-europe/#:~:text=England and Wales have the,the two countries in 2023.  Britain imprisons more people per 1000,000 population than any other  country in Western Europe. If that is true then it's worth asking why.

Are people in Britain more criminally inclined than everywhere else it the West of Europe ? Or, do we imprison more people for lesser offences? Either way it's worth analysing and some form of remedial action being taken.

I've no idea which it is, or even if it's a mixture of the two.  I find it hard to believe it's the former, yes we have our share of scumbags but so does every other country.

It's always been my opinion that someone should only be incarcerated if they present an actual danger to the public, otherwise some other form of retribution should be found.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't think the prisons are full because of folk being caught smoking a joint, rather big time dealers who would be selling some other kind of drug if it were made legal.

There are plenty of people growing weed in a cellar or attic in a house - not big time dealers, but they and the people selling it for them will go to prison if caught. And people involved in growing and distributing cannabis can't just move into other drugs, because that means treading on the toes of the people already moving those drugs, which is ill-advised.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, m williamson said:

According to this link  https://www.statista.com/chart/31061/highest-prisoner-rates-in-western-europe/#:~:text=England and Wales have the,the two countries in 2023.  Britain imprisons more people per 1000,000 population than any other  country in Western Europe. If that is true then it's worth asking why.

Are people in Britain more criminally inclined than everywhere else it the West of Europe ? Or, do we imprison more people for lesser offences? Either way it's worth analysing and some form of remedial action being taken.

I've no idea which it is, or even if it's a mixture of the two.  I find it hard to believe it's the former, yes we have our share of scumbags but so does every other country.

It's always been my opinion that someone should only be incarcerated if they present an actual danger to the public, otherwise some other form of retribution should be found.

Importing Criminals doesn't help either

As of the end of June 2023, there were at least 10,321 foreign nationals in prison in England and Wales, out of a total prison population of 85,851. Over half of foreign prisoners were European and, overall, the most common nationalities were Albanian, Polish, Romanian, Irish, and Jamaican. There were 11,769 foreign national offenders subject to deportation action living in the community, as of 30 September 2022.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2024-0023/#:~:text=As of the,30 September 2022.

14 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

Importing Criminals doesn't help either

As of the end of June 2023, there were at least 10,321 foreign nationals in prison in England and Wales, out of a total prison population of 85,851. Over half of foreign prisoners were European and, overall, the most common nationalities were Albanian, Polish, Romanian, Irish, and Jamaican. There were 11,769 foreign national offenders subject to deportation action living in the community, as of 30 September 2022.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2024-0023/#:~:text=As of the,30 September 2022.

they come over here taking our jobs, our women, selling our drugs and taking up our prison spaces *angrilly shakes fist*

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

they come over here taking our jobs, our women, selling our drugs and taking up our prison spaces *angrilly shakes fist*

lol every little helps, I'm sure we've more than a few scrotes living it up large and in those luxury foreign jails around the world 😂