What is the solution to UK prisons running out of room?

3 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Judge Pickles said "They're complaining about being three in a cell, if it was up to me they'd be three in a bed".

And the middle one said "roll over". Pickles fell out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mafya said:

The discharge grant should be 2 weeks of money equivalent to benefit amount till they get benefits.

Those that need accommodation should be helped so that they have somewhere to stay on release if required.

Those who have committed crime for a drug habit need to be put  on a drug rehabilitation course to keep them off drugs.

The govt needs to find employers willing to take on ex offenders to help them lead a law abiding life.

These are just a few suggestions I can think of but in reality it is a lot more complicated and the prison system as it stands is managing the keep the public safe by keeping them off the streets but is lacking in any meaningful steps towards rehabilitation.

I saw a guy I know last month he had been out of prison for a week after doing 6 months for shoplifting etc.

He told me he was going to just commit crime and go back inside as he had nowhere to live and at least inside he would get fed and have somewhere to sleep. Even after I tried talking some sense to him he just said his life was **** and told me to take care before he went on his way.

We as a society also stigmatise ex offenders so imagine how hard it is being ostracised by society?

Was it this blokes first time in prison ?

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Was it this blokes first time in prison ?

No he is always in and out doing short sentences. His marriage broke up about 7 years ago and since then his life has been a bit of a mess.

He used to come to my off licence when I had it a couple of years ago and I used to give him food that had a week left on best before date and tobacco as well.

The guy had a good job and everything so it’s really sad how his life has turned out.

• Like 1

So it turns out that the Tories knew we were on the brink of running out of prison spaces, which begs the question 'did Sunak call an election before that happened?' It also turns out that they had done next to nothing about it, while Patel and Braverman had been focusing on legislating against peaceful protest (including prison sentences, knowing they were running out of prison places). To say they'd got their priorities all wrong would be a massive understatement.

Well, chemical castration for the most serious of sex predictors should stop them offending, however ceasing flogging and hanging doesn’t appear to have worked in respect of the most violent,  chopping off the hands of thieves must have worked, but was somewhat extreme.

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Take it from a former prisons inspector: letting offenders out early won’t fix our broken system

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/15/prisons-inspector-offenders-justice-secretary-probation

Has anyone suggested it will do anything other than buy a bit of breathing space? The system has been totally neglected, like so many other public services, it'll take years to sort out.

• Like 1