What Are The Safest Areas For International Students To Live In Sheffield?

8 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Welcome to Sheffield I don't know what you have been reading but it is not dangerous although like most cities in the world there are places to avoid

I see people recommending Crookes and the like because they are "studenty" areas but you, with respect, are a mature student with family. You have a decent budget so look to the better areas of Sheffield with good access to the University (the tram is ideal)

Thank you BigAl1, I understand it is very normal in big cities to have some places to avoid, you all have helped me in choosing the best area to live in, thank you. Do you have more areas to suggest in addition to areas mentioned in the replies above?  Appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Thank you Crookesey for the reply,  working on this area.. appreciated.

No rough pubs in Broomhill, worth putting on your ‘don’t want’ list.

• Like 1

Some great advice in this thread. Thank you to everyone for such useful answers, its great to see everyone so welcoming and helpful. What the forum is all about!

@Hussein Alwan - congrats on your PHD placement and an early welcome to Sheffield! I don't have much to add from the advice already given but will reinforce the opinions that Crookes/Walkley is a great option for proximity to the University whilst not being completely overridden by the younger students. Hillsborough is a good option for its amenities and links. Nether Edge is a popular choice which recently got a lot of acclaim. Going further to the South/West of Sheffield from those areas has lots of benefits and get quieter/nearer to the Peak District, etc, but do start to lose points on things like transport links, etc.

Are there any specific daily/regular things you like access to and any kind of activities you like to do? That could sway some of the suggestions a little perhaps?

You're probably doing this already, but just in case: It is worth taking a lot of the suggestions in this thread and putting those areas into a site like Rightmove to see what you would be likely to get for your budget - it can differ quite a bit from area-to-area.

Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on and feel free to add any questions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Some great advice in this thread. Thank you to everyone for such useful answers, its great to see everyone so welcoming and helpful. What the forum is all about!

@Hussein Alwan - congrats on your PHD placement and an early welcome to Sheffield! I don't have much to add from the advice already given but will reinforce the opinions that Crookes/Walkley is a great option for proximity to the University whilst not being completely overridden by the younger students. Hillsborough is a good option for its amenities and links. Nether Edge is a popular choice which recently got a lot of acclaim. Going further to the South/West of Sheffield from those areas has lots of benefits and get quieter/nearer to the Peak District, etc, but do start to lose points on things like transport links, etc.

Are there any specific daily/regular things you like access to and any kind of activities you like to do? That could sway some of the suggestions a little perhaps?

You're probably doing this already, but just in case: It is worth taking a lot of the suggestions in this thread and putting those areas into a site like Rightmove to see what you would be likely to get for your budget - it can differ quite a bit from area-to-area.

Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on and feel free to add any questions.

Thank you dear for your congrats, I'm incredibly grateful for all this help from you and the other valued members of this forum, the way you all treat me made me so pleased and excited to move to the city after being worry and nervious a little bit. 

In choosing the area to live in, the paramount importance is to be ideal for my family, easy to my wife to reach her needs, shopping, does some activities in contact with other people...etc, and for my children to get better schools and to have some fun as well, to be close to the university will be good, but not that necessary as I won't be going to the university everyday.  I also prefer not too much quite place, see some people in around will be very nice.

I'm doing some searches in Rightmove app, I can find a handful options for my budget, but I have been informed by my friend who lives in Bournemouth that this could be changed when the university classes start and students back to universities, then it will be difficult to get housing. Do you think this will be the case in Sheffield as well?

Thank you again, your reply is really appreciated.

Students a lot of times sign on to new  contracts in late spring/ early summer, rather than the huge rush in September.

I once had a family try and bribe me to cancel someones  contract and give it to their son instead.

There's been  a huge amount of housing built in the last decade mostly Netherthorpe/St Vincents  m multistorey and "co-living " which might not suit family life as well.

We all have our picks of area, but  I think Broomhall is worth avoiding from my.experience of working there.

I have collected those areas from the recommendations that mentioned many times in the replies above, 

Crookes,
Walkley,
Nether Edge,
Broomhill, Broomhall,
Hillsborough,

I'm checking on Rightmove app the availability and prices of flats/detached houses, as I have to choose the school that I want my kids to join, and fill some forms and send back to city council. my concerns that I might not be able to find flat/house near the school when it's time to move to the city.

any suggestions please?

I'm also wondering what is advantages/disadvantages of flats vs detached houses.

Thank you!

Broomhall I would avoid.

Houses give you a private garden space rather than a  common space you get at the bigger flat developments.

A big percentage of the housing will be terraces, stone built a lot of them its a very traditional West Riding architecture . Tend to.have high ceilings and big windows.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, butlers said:

Broomhall I would avoid.

Houses give you a private garden space rather than a  common space you get at the bigger flat developments.

A big percentage of the housing will be terraces, stone built a lot of them its a very traditional West Riding architecture . Tend to.have high ceilings and big windows.

Thank you, in terms of cost of houses, bills .. etc, will be the same as for flats?

I also would like to check if Westways Primary School which is in Mona Avenue belongs to Crookes area or not?

6 hours ago, butlers said:

Broomhall I would avoid.

Broomhall was the main red light district, some of the ‘minders’ were only short of bolts through their neck, however I have no idea what it’s like these days.

• Like 1