What Are The Safest Areas For International Students To Live In Sheffield?

7 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Thank you, in terms of cost of houses, bills .. etc, will be the same as for flats?

I also would like to check if Westways Primary School which is in Mona Avenue belongs to Crookes area or not?

Schools should be your priority, especially for the 11 year old as that is age when children move into Secondary (11-18) schools. You will need to go through Education Department to get a place. 

Westways(yes Crookes), Lydgate, Broomhill and St Marie's are very popular Primary schools. Tapton and Notre Dame are very popular Secondary schools. There is no need to use fee-paying schools.

For many reasons Notre Dame (and St. Marie's Primary(4-10)) schools have a history of providing places for children of visiting University and Medical staff- these two schools prioritise children with a strong religious (any) background.

The University has a register of Landlords and Agents who will only accept Post graduate with families.

The University should be providing a lot of this information and help.

The  Crosspool and Crookes (west or near a road called Crookes!) area are quieter and have a long history of renting out properties to mature student families, often in 'semi detached' properties. You would be on the edge of the countryside and within walking distance of UoS and shops, buses and restaurants close by  There are many welcoming groups to join.  

• Like 2

On 27/06/2024 at 20:04, Beechwood_S6 said:

Hillsborough is not bad option either, it has shops and the park is ok, trams run up to university my other half teached there for 10 years we lived on a side street off Middlewood Road, it worked ok for us.

I liked it down there years ago nice place now in Barnsley. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Thank you BigAl1, I understand it is very normal in big cities to have some places to avoid, you all have helped me in choosing the best area to live in, thank you. Do you have more areas to suggest in addition to areas mentioned in the replies above?  Appreciated.

Ideal if something comes up would be Wadsley Park village (estate) at Middlewood where the tram terminates - modern houses on a nice estate. I can not really recommend other areas that have not already been mentioned .  you might try emailing:-  residentsupport@sheffield.ac.uk and they may be able to help find a house

15 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

I have collected those areas from the recommendations that mentioned many times in the replies above, 

Crookes,
Walkley,
Nether Edge,
Broomhill, Broomhall,
Hillsborough,

I'm checking on Rightmove app the availability and prices of flats/detached houses, as I have to choose the school that I want my kids to join, and fill some forms and send back to city council. my concerns that I might not be able to find flat/house near the school when it's time to move to the city.

any suggestions please?

I'm also wondering what is advantages/disadvantages of flats vs detached houses.

Thank you!

Greystones is worth considering. It's between Netheredge and Broomhill. It's a nice area, nice people. Nearby Sharrowvale Rd is good for shopping, eating and drinking. and  Nearby Endcliffe park is good with a large playground and cafe, and leads to a longer walk to Forge Dam, taking in an historic water wheel and dams (If that's the sort of thing you're interested in...) I miss it!

• Like 1

Welcome to a very friendly and hospitable city, even though I've just retired elsewhere outside the city myself.

I can't speak for schools, as I don't have any kids.
A little further out of town, places like Millhouses are pleasant, and on a regular bus route into town.
You mentioned flats or detached houses; I suspect you might be looking more at semi-detached or terrace to fall within your budget, depending on your chosen area.
We call them terrace house in the north of England, but other countries will have different names, such as mews or townhouses.
Have a look around various parts of the mentioned areas with Google Street View, to give yourself a flavour of the area(s), and also the terminology used over here for the different housing types.

These would be small(ish) 3 bedroom terrace houses in Crookes, where I used to live, but the area is quite expensive now, due to the proximity to the Uni, hospitals and well regarded schools.

Larger terraces near Hunters Bar, on the South West of the city, again good bus service into town, or a walk to the Uni

Decent sized Semi Detached also near Hunters Bar

I've no idea of current rental prices for any of the above, but all are reasonably sought after areas, so may be expensive.
I'm assuming you will be renting, either direct from a private owner, or through an agency.
It's many years since I rented, I bought a house in Crookes and loved it there, but beware some landlords are less than honest.
I understand it conventional now to charge a breakage deposit of some sort; there are regulations covering this, but some landlords try any excuse to avoid returning that deposit at the end of the tenancy.
I'd take detailed photos of the internal & external aspects of all of the property before you even move any boxes in, and repeat the same photos on leaving.
That way, you will hopefully be covered in the event of any dispute.

It may sound obvious, but I'd also check mobile phone coverage in your chosen area, before committing to any airtime provider.
I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Schools should be your priority, especially for the 11 year old as that is age when children move into Secondary (11-18) schools. You will need to go through Education Department to get a place. 

Westways(yes Crookes), Lydgate, Broomhill and St Marie's are very popular Primary schools. Tapton and Notre Dame are very popular Secondary schools. There is no need to use fee-paying schools.

For many reasons Notre Dame (and St. Marie's Primary(4-10)) schools have a history of providing places for children of visiting University and Medical staff- these two schools prioritise children with a strong religious (any) background.

The University has a register of Landlords and Agents who will only accept Post graduate with families.

The University should be providing a lot of this information and help.

The  Crosspool and Crookes (west or near a road called Crookes!) area are quieter and have a long history of renting out properties to mature student families, often in 'semi detached' properties. You would be on the edge of the countryside and within walking distance of UoS and shops, buses and restaurants close by  There are many welcoming groups to join.  

Thank you Annie Bynnol for your reply, totally agree the schools should be the priority, I have to choose three primary school, then based on the availablity the city counil will choose one. I have chosen 1. St. Mary's CE Academy; 2. Westways Primary School; 3. Nether Edge Primary School; 

I also find St. Marie's RC IJ which is in Fulwood Road PostcodeS10 3DQ, I don't know what area is that, and if it is a good area.

I will reach the university for the registered landlords that only accept post graduate students with families, it will be helpful.

Crookes mentioned many times, I will make it my first choice.

Thank you again!

11 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Ideal if something comes up would be Wadsley Park village (estate) at Middlewood where the tram terminates - modern houses on a nice estate. I can not really recommend other areas that have not already been mentioned .  you might try emailing:-  residentsupport@sheffield.ac.uk and they may be able to help find a house

Thank you very much for sharing this information. Appreciated!

5 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Greystones is worth considering. It's between Netheredge and Broomhill. It's a nice area, nice people. Nearby Sharrowvale Rd is good for shopping, eating and drinking. and  Nearby Endcliffe park is good with a large playground and cafe, and leads to a longer walk to Forge Dam, taking in an historic water wheel and dams (If that's the sort of thing you're interested in...) I miss it!

Thank you Draggletail, seems interesting, I already have Netheredge as one potential area, will consider Greystones as well. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peak4 said:

Welcome to a very friendly and hospitable city, even though I've just retired elsewhere outside the city myself.

I can't speak for schools, as I don't have any kids.
A little further out of town, places like Millhouses are pleasant, and on a regular bus route into town.
You mentioned flats or detached houses; I suspect you might be looking more at semi-detached or terrace to fall within your budget, depending on your chosen area.
We call them terrace house in the north of England, but other countries will have different names, such as mews or townhouses.
Have a look around various parts of the mentioned areas with Google Street View, to give yourself a flavour of the area(s), and also the terminology used over here for the different housing types.

These would be small(ish) 3 bedroom terrace houses in Crookes, where I used to live, but the area is quite expensive now, due to the proximity to the Uni, hospitals and well regarded schools.

Larger terraces near Hunters Bar, on the South West of the city, again good bus service into town, or a walk to the Uni

Decent sized Semi Detached also near Hunters Bar

I've no idea of current rental prices for any of the above, but all are reasonably sought after areas, so may be expensive.
I'm assuming you will be renting, either direct from a private owner, or through an agency.
It's many years since I rented, I bought a house in Crookes and loved it there, but beware some landlords are less than honest.
I understand it conventional now to charge a breakage deposit of some sort; there are regulations covering this, but some landlords try any excuse to avoid returning that deposit at the end of the tenancy.
I'd take detailed photos of the internal & external aspects of all of the property before you even move any boxes in, and repeat the same photos on leaving.
That way, you will hopefully be covered in the event of any dispute.

It may sound obvious, but I'd also check mobile phone coverage in your chosen area, before committing to any airtime provider.
I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

Dear Peak4, thank you very much for your reply, and the information you provided, through this forum, I'm sure now that the city is very friendly and hospitable, I've got a very fruitful information and a great help from the kind and valued members, thank you all.

I will take your advice regaeding the dispute and other advices seriously. 

The rent is very expensive as you mentioned, and I'm thinking to allocate GBP 1000-1200, I will be paid around GBP2100, I've heard that GBP 900-1000 shall be enough for living cost, I'm not sure, I will also be recieving around GBP350 from renting my house in Baghdad.

The links are very useful, it seems I will look for 2 beds flat or semi-detached house, it will also depend on the availability when I will move next September/October.

Thank you!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Thank you Annie Bynnol for your reply, totally agree the schools should be the priority, I have to choose three primary school, then based on the availablity the city counil will choose one. I have chosen 1. St. Mary's CE Academy; 2. Westways Primary School; 3. Nether Edge Primary School; 

I also find St. Marie's RC IJ which is in Fulwood Road PostcodeS10 3DQ, I don't know what area is that, and if it is a good area.

I will reach the university for the registered landlords that only accept post graduate students with families, it will be helpful.

Crookes mentioned many times, I will make it my first choice.

Thank you again!

St. Marie's RC IJ is less than a mile from Crookes/Broomhill/Crosspool in an area called Ranmoor and in the middle of student accommodation buildings (which have some family places). As a state school with a Catholic ethos it has a much bigger and more diverse catchment area and is a feeder for Notre Dame Catholic Secondary which is next door, Catholic schools have a different selection process, prioritizing practicing Catholic children followed by those of other religions(including non-Christian). They require evidence.  

All schools in this area are used to providing places for visiting academics. The selection for secondary school is usually a much bigger worry for parents. All the secondary schools in the area are very successful and will be full-meaning that your 11 year old may need to travel outside the area and be on a waiting list for one of the local schools. Do not rely on the Council procedure-contact the schools directly. Having a Sheffield address will speed up the process.

• Like 1