What Are The Safest Areas For International Students To Live In Sheffield?

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Give yourselves a pat on the back, it's lovely to see people being helpful.

I've nothing to add to the comments, except to wish Mr. Hussein and his family all the very best in their stay in Sheffield..

A big welcome from me Hussein...

Dear Padders, tbh, when I joined the forum, I didn't expect to find all this help and interaction, thank you all, I'm very excited to move to Sheffield.

Thank you Padders for the wishes, and I'm grateful for the big welcome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Hi all,

I have an admission to do my PhD at UoS starting next October, I will move to Sheffield with my family, I'm married and have two daughters (11y and 6y) and a new born son (less than one month age), I'm from Baghdad so it is not abnormal to have some crimes from time to time, but we know how to avoid them. I've been reading that there are some crimes in Sheffield, I'm a little bit worry and need your advice to find the safest areas for my family to live in Sheffield, my daughters will join the schools so I need to make sure and to feel that they will be safe when go to the school, and for my wife as well when goes out for shopping, running ..etc.

Any other advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Sheffield on the whole is pretty safe but like all big cities it has its less desirable areas. I moved to Rotherham about 9 years ago (not because of crime or anything) but I was born and bred in Sheffield and never really had a problem. I can't really add anything to what others have said but I would like to wish you well with your PHD and welcome you and your family to South Yorkshire. I'm sure you'll love it here🙏

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Sheffield on the whole is pretty safe but like all big cities it has its less desirable areas. I moved to Rotherham about 9 years ago (not because of crime or anything) but I was born and bred in Sheffield and never really had a problem. I can't really add anything to what others have said but I would like to wish you well with your PHD and welcome you and your family to South Yorkshire. I'm sure you'll love it here🙏

Thank you a lot for your reply and for the kind wishes, I'm happy having all this support!

• Thanks 1

First of all, good luck with your PhD and congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of your baby son. I hope you have a happy time in Sheffield and make a lot of friends.

Would your 11 year old daughter be going to secondary school or would she still be at junior school? If secondary school, then Broomhill, which some people have recommended, would probably put her in the catchment area for King Edwards. It’s been a while since I lived in Sheffield but King Edwards had a good reputation in those days. Perhaps someone local can advise if this is still the case. 

Welcome to Sheffield I don't know what you have been reading but it is not dangerous although like most cities in the world there are places to avoid

I see people recommending Crookes and the like because they are "studenty" areas but you, with respect, are a mature student with family. You have a decent budget so look to the better areas of Sheffield with good access to the University (the tram is ideal)

3 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

First of all, good luck with your PhD and congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of your baby son. I hope you have a happy time in Sheffield and make a lot of friends.

Would your 11 year old daughter be going to secondary school or would she still be at junior school? If secondary school, then Broomhill, which some people have recommended, would probably put her in the catchment area for King Edwards. It’s been a while since I lived in Sheffield but King Edwards had a good reputation in those days. Perhaps someone local can advise if this is still the case. 

King Edward's is a good school, so is Tapton which is also probably a school covering those areas.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hussein Alwan said:

Thank you Draggletail, I also heard that Broomhill is very safe, I will work on the the areas you all have suggested. 

Really appreciated, I'm really glad to see all these responses. 

Broomhill would be my first choice.

15 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I would recommend Crooks, Netheredge and Broomhall. All very safe, close to everything with decent shops and public transport.

Thank you a lot for the recommendation, yes, I see those areas mentioned many time, I'm working on them. Appreciated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

Dear Slighty Batty, Thank you very much for the congrats and the wishes, really appreciated. I'm in contact with the city council over the email, I would like my 11y daughter to join the primary school, she doesn't speak English, and I think it will be better for her to have one more year at the primary school.

Thank you!

• Like 1