PDSA Broomhill Charity Shop Needs Your Help!

PDSA’s Broomhill-based charity shop is recognising the contribution their amazing teams of volunteers make to their stores. 

Jennie Pearson, Volunteering Business Partner at PDSA said: “We can’t thank our nationwide network of volunteers enough. We’re very lucky to have many wonderful teams across all of our shops & we want to take this week to say a huge thank you to all of our dedicated volunteers.” 

image.png.b89ebc90c505f073ed2ec88517bb70c5.png 

With the success of PDSA charity shops down to the amazing teams of volunteers, the Broomhill shop is hoping more local people will want to join in and help out the already wonderful, local teams. 

The Broomhill based charity shop support PDSA’s vital veterinary work across its 48 Pet Hospitals - including the local facility, SheffieldPDSA Pet Hospital andSheffield Pet Clinic - which care for thousands of pets whose owners struggle to afford essential vet treatments. 

In 2023, it cost PDSA over £2 million to run its services at the Sheffield Pet Hospital and the Sheffield Pet Clinic, and the local charity shop plays an important role in helping raise those much needed funds. 

Jennie added: “We’re looking for friendly people, aged 18 or over to join our warm and supportive teams in Broomhill. Volunteering with us is a great way to give something back to the community and make a real difference to the lives of people and their pets. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have previous retail experience - we provide full training and we’ll reimburse your travel expenses so you’re not out of pocket. 

“We don’t receive any government funding towards running our vital veterinary services so the generosity of the community who donate items to our shops, and the time dedicated to us by our incredible volunteers, mean we can be there for pets and their owners when they are most in need.” 

PDSA is calling on more local people to get involved in volunteering in whatever way works best for them. To find out about volunteering opportunities at the stores, you can pop by and visit to speak to the team. 

Alternatively, visit the following link to apply for a role online: https://www.pdsa.org.uk/volunteer 

To find out more visit PDSA’s charity shops page. 

The Broomhill shop is located at: 

PDSA Broomhill Shop, 218 Fulwood Road, Fulwood, Sheffield, S10 3BB.  

Vol 2.jpg

• Like 1

My only experience of PDSA was extremely poor, the attitude of the staff was unbelieveable.

Disabled neighbour of mine, has a small dog for company, barely any family. 

Dog became unwell prompting her to call PDSA who said they wanted to see the dog. I took her as she had no transport.

Whilst we were there the vet somehow managed to make the dog vomit and a small plastic toy emerged. The dog almost immediately went back to her normal self. 

On the way out the owner offered £20 as a donation as that was literally all she had left. The assistant behind the counter "Can't you make it £50, it's closer to what a vet appointment would cost you"

I told the owner to put the 20 back in her pocket and told the assistant she needs to watch her attitude. This owner has offered you the LAST of her funds, everything she has and yet you're trying to guilt her into more. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

My only experience of PDSA was extremely poor, the attitude of the staff was unbelieveable.

Dog became unwell prompting her to call PDSA who said they wanted to see the dog. I took her as she had no transport.

Whilst we were there the vet somehow managed to make the dog vomit and a small plastic toy emerged. The dog almost immediately went back to her normal self. 

On the way out the owner offered £20 as a donation as that was literally all she had left. The assistant behind the counter "Can't you make it £50, it's closer to what a vet appointment would cost you"

I told the owner to put the 20 back in her pocket and told the assistant she needs to watch her attitude. This owner has offered you the LAST of her funds, everything she has and yet you're trying to guilt her into more. 

It has got much harder to get an appointment, they now ask so many questions, (if you can actually get through at all )  your animal has to be on its last legs before they actually give you a appointment.

We lost our beloved dog Ellie last week, she was age 14 and had suddenly become unsteady  on her feet and had no control over he bodily functions. She was jumping in out of the back of my SUV and walking a few miles with me every morning a few days earlier. We decided to let nature take it’s course and thank the lord she died in her sleep.

After previous experience of both the PDSA and RSPCA we are content that we did our best for her.

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Bit harsh there.

I don't think it unreasonable for them to suggest a higher donation amount for the service provided.

I'm sure if you explained it was all they could afford they would have been happy with that and gratefully received the £20. Yes, they are a charity but that doesn't mean they don't have the costs and overheads that other vets have - they rely and exist on the kindness of donations and volunteers and need to get the money to cover.

Good luck to the Broomhill shop in the quest for volunteers - a very worthy and satisfying role for anyone wushing to take it on.

4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Bit harsh there.

I don't think it unreasonable for them to suggest a higher donation amount for the service provided.

I'm sure if you explained it was all they could afford they would have been happy with that and gratefully received the £20. Yes, they are a charity but that doesn't mean they don't have the costs and overheads that other vets have - they rely and exist on the kindness of donations and volunteers and need to get the money to cover.

Good luck to the Broomhill shop in the quest for volunteers - a very worthy and satisfying role for anyone wushing to take it on.

Asking if it's possible for a higher donation, fine. 

Sneering at the offered donation speaking with a tone of contempt isnt