Nurses Sue Employer For Allowing Trans Women To Use Their Changing Rooms

1 minute ago, Slighty batty said:

We aren’t talking about changing rooms for sports are we though?

We're talking about the general principle of single sex spaces, in this instance a changing room, and a precedent to be set which would, of course, apply beyond the specifics of the example presented here.

4 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

The medical example is not “silly” given that we’re taking about medical professionals working in a hospital.

Of course it's silly.  Ridiculous, in fact.  That a male doctor sees women undressed in his professional capacity in a medical context, and that a woman as a patient by necessity may have to be undressed in front of a male doctor in a therapeutic context, does not, of course, mean that a woman would want to be similarly undressed in front of a male colleague or that a male doctor should be able to view his undressed female colleagues in a non-consenting, non-professional, non-therapeutic context.

8 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

As for the beach, if you’re OK with the whole world and his dog looking at you in a bikini or swimsuit then why get worked up about being seen somewhere in your bra and pants.

I'm sure I don't need to explain to you the issues of consent, choice, privacy, and context.

14 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

Now you say only women should be allowed in these female spaces…. so a lesbian woman, who finds other women attractive, is ok to go in

Yes. 

15 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

but a man who identifies as female (and who isn’t the slightest bit interested in women) needs to stay out.

Yes.  Trans identified men often also identify as lesbian, by the way, not as gay men, but this issue isn't about sexual attraction.

16 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

I don’t find that logical

No one cares whether you find that logical.  This is about women feeling uncomfortable (or threatened, or intimidated, or frightened, or any combination of those and any number of other responses for whatever reason) by being in a vulnerable position when males, however they identify, are allowed access to women's single sex spaces.  Whether or not your understand, agree or approve is irrelevant.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

We're talking about the general principle of single sex spaces, in this instance a changing room, and a precedent to be set which would, of course, apply beyond the specifics of the example presented here.

Of course it's silly.  Ridiculous, in fact.  That a male doctor sees women undressed in his professional capacity in a medical context, and that a woman as a patient by necessity may have to be undressed in front of a male doctor in a therapeutic context, does not, of course, mean that a woman would want to be similarly undressed in front of a male colleague or that a male doctor should be able to view his undressed female colleagues in a non-consenting, non-professional, non-therapeutic context.

I'm sure I don't need to explain to you the issues of consent, choice, privacy, and context.

Yes. 

Yes.  Trans identified men often also identify as lesbian, by the way, not as gay men, but this issue isn't about sexual attraction.

No one cares whether you find that logical.  This is about women feeling uncomfortable (or threatened, or intimidated, or frightened, or any combination of those and any number of other responses for whatever reason) by being in a vulnerable position when males, however they identify, are allowed access to women's single sex spaces.  Whether or not your understand, agree or approve is irrelevant.

Look, I live in the Netherlands and people here - even the elderly - are generally much more open minded and tolerant than in the UK.  I’m not going to get into a slanging match with you because obviously that’s not going to help you to change your mind, but you need to understand that transgender people are just human beings the same as the rest of us, and there’s really nothing to fear from them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellatrix said:

Whether or not you.

Imagine I've corrected any other typos I've missed.

I’ve given up trying to edit. If I write a post in mangled English, then I guess that the reader will just have to unmangle it for themselves.

You can only control what you control.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I’ve given up trying to edit. If I write a post in mangled English, then I guess that the reader will just have to unmangle it for themselves.

You can only control what you control.

That's certainly an interesting and informative view.