Suspended sentence for fatal cyclist accident driver

On 28/06/2024 at 19:51, dan_999uk said:

Motorcyclists have an acronym for it, SMIDSY, for "Sorry mate, I didn't see you".

People look but they don't see. 

They're not always so easy to see though, black bike, black leathers, black helmet and travelling faster than a pedal cycle can usually go.

That's not excusing people for not bothering to look obviously.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

No it isn't. It's stating fact. He may well have survived if he was wearing a helmet. 

I won't be so harsh on foxydebs as Dan is being but, ask yourself this; is it really the time, the place, the core issue of the subject?

Victim blaming doesn't need to have been a deliberate act, you can be guilty of it even if you were only providing a well-meaning suggestion. The major issue with debs advice is that it unnecessarily turns the focus of blame (whether intentional or not) back on a cyclist who has lost their life really through no fault of their own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You may well survive a stabbing if you wear a stab vest.

You may well survive a shooting if you wear a bullet-proof vest.

You may well survive getting run over if you never go out.

Etc, etc.

So you agree?

He might have survived if he was wearing a helmet? 

• Like 2

Just now, AndrewC said:

I won't be so harsh on foxydebs as Dan is being but, ask yourself this; is it really the time, the place, the core issue of the subject?

Victim blaming doesn't need to have been a deliberate act, you can be guilty of it even if you were only providing a well-meaning suggestion. The major issue with debs advice is that it unnecessarily turns the focus of blame (whether intentional or not) back on a cyclist who has lost their life really through no fault of their own.

I'm sorry but I think it's a fair point to make. As for the timing? I think it's an even fairer point to make whilst it's still fresh in people's minds. It could save a life.

I'm not going to bang on about it though. I've said my bit and I can't be doing with getting drawn in to an argument where emotions are clearly running high. 👍

• Like 1

Please can we stop this conversation. As peak4 put it on the previous page:

16 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Is any of this relevant, given that the accident was in Sheffield, and friends or relative might come across this thread.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

That wasn't victim blaming 

It was .It's his fault he wasn't wearing a helmet . Do pedestrian s who get fun over and killed by drivers on phones . At road junctions etc get blamed because they wernt wearing a helmet or high viz jacket . I dint see him sir as usual

I'm surprised people can't see the victim blaming nature of the comment to be honest.

The root cause of the injury is the unsafe driving.

Anything to do with wearing a helmet or not, or anything else, is secondary to that.

You could just as easily say "If she didn't have a sat nav, she wouldn't have been distracted and wouldn't have crashed into him in the first place" - but nobody is blaming the sat nav for his injuries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

You may well survive a stabbing if you wear a stab vest.

You may well survive a shooting if you wear a bullet-proof vest.

You may well survive getting run over if you never go out.

Etc, etc.

Although this thread seems to have fallen into a bit of an argument about taste... and I don't wish to join in that, 

I don't think this post is logical at all.

No one ever suggests wearing a stab vest when you go out, nor wear a bullet proof vest. 

Wearing a safety helmet is good advice whenever someone uses a bike/motorbike whether the law or not, not only because you might fall off, but because accidents happen (something I never did btw, and even didn't wear one riding my electric motorbike in China). 

I don't think there was any victim blaming... I didn't see in the report how fast anyone was going (it only said the thinking time for the driver was 4 seconds). If the person was coming down Ringinglow road at the Common Lane junction, they could have been doing what I would have been doing years ago, i.e. going very fast and a helmet would make no difference whatsoever. Or they could have slowed to 30 and perhaps it would have made a difference.

• Like 1

Wearing helmets is not compulsory in the UK but is advisable.

So the cyclist has not done anything wrong.

However, I do agree had he been wearing one the outcome may have been different.

I am presuming this car turned right at Fulwood Lane Junction while the cyclist was coming down ringinglow Rd so only the car driver to blame here.

• Like 1