Suspended sentence for fatal cyclist accident driver

1 hour ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Wearing helmets is not compulsory in the UK but is advisable.

So the cyclist has not done anything wrong.

However, I do agree had he been wearing one the outcome may have been different.

I am presuming this car turned right at Fulwood Lane Junction while the cyclist was coming down ringinglow Rd so only the car driver to blame here.

The collision was at at the Common Lane junction.

2 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Wearing helmets is not compulsory in the UK but is advisable.

So the cyclist has not done anything wrong.

However, I do agree had he been wearing one the outcome may have been different.

I am presuming this car turned right at Fulwood Lane Junction while the cyclist was coming down ringinglow Rd so only the car driver to blame here.

There’s also been a number of studies that show in lots of circumstances wearing a helmet can actually make an injury worse.

It is actually about even when putting the stats together — in around 60% of cases wearing a helmet can prevent some serious injuries, but in around 40% of cases it can make them worse. The types of injuries monitored in these studies are really specific on both sides though so there’s an increasing thinking that not wearing a helmet can actually be better than doing so, for the most part.

Then there’s the point made earlier and linked to an article before — you simply shouldn’t have to dress up like you’re entering a warzone because you’re scared of someone driving unsafe around you — the root cause of the problem is the unsafe driver, not the wearing of protective equipment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

It is actually about even when putting the stats together — in around 60% of cases wearing a helmet can prevent some serious injuries, but in around 40% of cases it can make them worse.

That wasn't mentioned in the guardian article was it?

A major 2001 review of the research concluded that helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 60%. A 2011 examination of this study by Rune Elvik, a Norwegian academic and road safety expert, said the overall protection could be slightly reduced given what seems to be an increase in the likelihood of a neck injury if you wear a helmet (another source of endless debate).

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

There’s also been a number of studies that show in lots of circumstances wearing a helmet can actually make an injury worse.

It is actually about even when putting the stats together — in around 60% of cases wearing a helmet can prevent some serious injuries, but in around 40% of cases it can make them worse. The types of injuries monitored in these studies are really specific on both sides though so there’s an increasing thinking that not wearing a helmet can actually be better than doing so, for the most part.

Then there’s the point made earlier and linked to an article before — you simply shouldn’t have to dress up like you’re entering a warzone because you’re scared of someone driving unsafe around you — the root cause of the problem is the unsafe driver, not the wearing of protective equipment.

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Whatever the answer is to that I would not go out on my bike without my helmet.

• Like 2

I don't think that wearing a helmet is a good idea just in case you have a collision with a motorist. There are lots of other good reasons such as hitting a pot hole, a curb,  some gravel,  a mechanical failure on the bike or even a pedestrian etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

I don't think that wearing a helmet is a good idea just in case you have a collision with a motorist. There are lots of other good reasons such as hitting a pot hole, a curb,  some gravel,  a mechanical failure on the bike or even a pedestrian etc.

They are the good reasons TO wear a helmet. The effectiveness of a helmet plummets when being hit by a vehicle in comparison to smaller incidents.

Some links:

Cycle helmets: An overview of the evidence: https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2020/01/helmets-evidence_cuk_brf_0.pdf 

Wearing a cycle helment may increase risk of injury: https://road.cc/content/news/268605-wearing-cycle-helmet-may-increase-risk-injury-says-new-research

5 ways wearing a bicycle can result in injuries: https://crag.asn.au/5-ways-wearing-a-bicycle-helmet-can-result-in-injuries/

Should be mentioned that the second link is not a proper peer-reviewed piece of research so any claims made off the back of it really need taking with a pinch of salt.

Especially: 

It appears helmet use increases the accident rate by more than 40 per cent.

• Like 1

Increased likelihood of injuries to other parts of the body among people wearing helmets is an interesting theme that several studies share.

A big issue is attempting to compare or use data from other countries.  They will have different road layouts, different cycling infrastructure, different culture surrounding cycling and even completely different vehicles involved.

I wouldn't advocate not wearing a helmet, especially when so many of the studies were easily able to show a strong correlation between helmet use and reduction in serious brain injury.

• Like 3

On 01/07/2024 at 13:35, dan_999uk said:

Victim blaming, lovely. 

Hardly I just can't understand why anyone would get on a bike and not put a cycle helmet on, maybe if he had he would have survived the accident as the helmet is protection for the brain and skull.  When I learnt to ride a bike as a child I always wore a helmet and when I had mopeds I always had a crash helmet as I didn't want to end up another statistic.  But I forget we are in 2024 and people have the choice to do what they want and not think of the consequences.

• Like 1