Suspended sentence for fatal cyclist accident driver

On 01/07/2024 at 13:53, SheffieldForum said:

You may well survive a stabbing if you wear a stab vest.

You may well survive a shooting if you wear a bullet-proof vest.

You may well survive getting run over if you never go out.

Etc, etc.

Yes but all of those you don't imagine are going to happen, at least make yourself as safe as possible on a bike such as wear a helmet and have reflective gear and lights on, particularly at dusk or in the dark.

• Like 2

On 01/07/2024 at 14:01, dan_999uk said:

Just reflects a conventional motorist mentality towards those road users they regard as inferior. 

Funny that seen as I don't drive a car. I have seen what head injuries do to people, hence why I would protect my head, skull and brain and always did when I had a moped.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, foxydebs said:

Funny that seen as I don't drive a car. I have seen what head injuries do to people, hence why I would protect my head, skull and brain and always did when I had a moped.

Do you mean Mop Head?

This and another conviction on the same day were covered in The Tribune this week.

Here's a snippet:

Summing up, Judge Jeremy Richardson KC said Dungworth was "filled with genuine remorse". He described her as a "respectable" woman who had driven her car "very badly for a few seconds". The court also heard that Louise Lane, Mr Lane's former partner and mother to their children, had written to the Crown Prosecution Service saying the family felt it was a "tragic accident". The family added they believed no one was to blame for the crash and they had "no bad feelings or malice towards the driver of the car".

However, some in the Sheffield cycling community voiced their frustration at the sentences. “My son’s friend is fatherless forever and she got two years suspended,” wrote one prominent Sheffield cyclist on Twitter of the Lane verdict. “Another day, another derisory sentence for killing a cyclist,” wrote the same person about the Straw case. “Should never have been on the road if he couldn't bloody SEE!” However, others writing on the Cycle Sheffield Facebook page felt lengthier driving bans were better than custodial sentences. “Driving is a privilege not a right,” wrote one.

Read the full coverage at The Tribune here.

• Like 1

I have to say , the death of this poor man is tragic . However , cyclists do worry me , especially with the volume of traffic around . I always take care when driving near them , because they make me slightly nervous .  They are so vulnerable , especially in Cities .

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I have to say , the death of this poor man is tragic . However , cyclists do worry me , especially with the volume of traffic around . I always take care when driving near them , because they make me slightly nervous .  They are so vulnerable , especially in Cities .

Doesn't the volume of traffic you mention bother you, at least as much as cyclists themselves do?

1 hour ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

My bold.

Agreed. Whilst many cyclists do themselves no favours I stress to my daughter the importance of giving them as much space as possible. A few weeks ago we were heading back home via Whiston. As we were approaching the brow of the hill a cyclist was in front, We slowed to let him reach the top with the intention of overtaking once we'd reached the top. I reckon it must have put about 20 to 30 seconds on our journey. No bother. Unfortunately the car behind couldn't wait that long, overtook us and the cyclist and was almost hit by a car coming the other way. 

All for 30 seconds. The silliest part about it is he drove off and by the time we got to the traffic lights he was there, waiting for it to turn green so he'd literally made up just one car length for all that risk.

Muppet 🙄 

It was all caught on dashcam too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Agreed. Whilst many cyclists do themselves no favours I stress to my daughter the importance of giving them as much space as possible. A few weeks ago we were heading back home via Whiston. As we were approaching the brow of the hill a cyclist was in front, We slowed to let him reach the top with the intention of overtaking once we'd reached the top. I reckon it must have put about 20 to 30 seconds on our journey. No bother. Unfortunately the car behind couldn't wait that long, overtook us and the cyclist and was almost hit by a car coming the other way. 

All for 30 seconds. The silliest part about it is he drove off and by the time we got to the traffic lights he was there, waiting for it to turn green so he'd literally made up just one car length for all that risk.

Muppet 🙄 

It was all caught on dashcam too. 

You're teaching your daughter well.

Few drivers still seem to be aware that Cyclists actually have the priority, and that when overtaking you legally have to leave 1.5metres space between your car and the cyclist (often this means going completely over into the opposite lane, or even not overtaking at all if there isn't 1.5m space available).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You're teaching your daughter well.

Few drivers still seem to be aware that Cyclists actually have the priority, and that when overtaking you legally have to leave 1.5metres space between your car and the cyclist (often this means going completely over into the opposite lane, or even not overtaking at all if there isn't 1.5m space available).

My bold

Yeah that was our situation. When the driver behind did his overtake we were literally seconds away from being able to overtake safely.

Absolutely crazy. 

I was going to upload and share it here but it turns out I used a bit more profanity than is generally allowed on a family Forum 😬

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Yeah that was our situation. When the driver behind did his overtake we were literally seconds away from being able to overtake safely.

Absolutely crazy. 

I was going to upload and share it here but it turns out I used a bit more profanity than is generally allowed on a family Forum 😬

I find some people have no patience & have to be in front , despite of the dangers of doing so . It's ridiculous 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1