“Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

@Ghozer / @zach- 'All this happened after I did a full reset' - does this mean the initial account is not an admin account? If so, it seems strange. 

If you do a full reset, you need to create accounts again. I've not built/installed new for a while. Windows 10 is years ago! Fairly sure the first account is admin (without having to set it up as such) I'll stand corrected on that one if I'm wrong...I blame age! ;) 

Just now, zach said:

If you do a full reset, you need to create accounts again. I've not built/installed new for a while. Windows 10 is years ago! Fairly sure the first account is admin (without having to set it up as such) I'll stand corrected on that one if I'm wrong...I blame age! ;) 

That makes sense, otherwise a non-techie would have massive problems. Wonder if @Greenveg missed a step after the reset?

24 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That makes sense, otherwise a non-techie would have massive problems. Wonder if @Greenveg missed a step after the reset?

It's possible. Windows 10 & 11 are good with drivers, but do miss some at times. It would be a lot of messing to alter account permissions just to install drivers.

I wouldn't reset at all. It would be...

Download image from Microsoft.

Diskpart - clean (If i wasn't selling the PC)

Clean reinstall.

And upgrade to Windows 11, but that's a personal choice of the owner/user.

First of all, I am quite elderly. No one else has access to my PC. When I boot up , a screen appears with my name. I press enter and  a screen appears asking for  my. password. I put in my  password, press enter, and  it takes me to desktop.

9 minutes ago, Greenveg said:

First of all, I am quite elderly. No one else has access to my PC. When I boot up , a screen appears with my name. I press enter and  a screen appears asking for  my. password. I put in my  password, press enter, and  it takes me to desktop.

That's sounds right. What doesn't sound right is the access level of your account. Try turning off UAC first (type UAC in the Windows search box, it should take you to the right settings page) It can be turned back on later, if you want to.

All the settings for UAC and checking your account type are in the Control Panel.

5 minutes ago, Greenveg said:

My PC is too old for Windows 11

Fair point.

1 minute ago, Greenveg said:

Re you advice

"Diskpart - clean (If i wasn't selling the PC)

Clean reinstall."

How  do I do this.

It means you would be wiping your hard drive completely, then reinstalling Windows from a USB etc. You do need to be 100% sure you're OK with this. Once 'clean' has been run in diskpart, there's no option to revert it. Without knowing how confident with reinstalling PC's you are, it's hard to say yes or no.

I think you should look into the permissions side first.