With God on our side

7 hours ago, cuttsie said:

How can e go wrong .

If he picks the same team as the last 3 games, he could go wrong but if he tries one holding midfielder with Gordon on the left, Palmer on the right and Foden in the middle behind Kane and Watkins up front, he could get it right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

God, religion. Is there a difference? And does it matter? Consciousness might not even be a product of the brain but be separate from the brain, therefore surviving death.

Oof. That’s deep Draggletail. Yes I believe there is a difference or maybe a distinction between God and religion. Some religions don’t have a God, in the popular sense. It’s all down to the individual, isn’t it?

As regarding consciousness surviving death only time will tell, won’t it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Oof. That’s deep Draggletail. Yes I believe there is a difference or maybe a distinction between God and religion. Some religions don’t have a God, in the popular sense. It’s all down to the individual, isn’t it?

As regarding consciousness surviving death only time will tell, won’t it.  

YorkieonthetheTyne, yes you're right, it's all down to the individual, (and maybe the culture that they're born to or brought up in) I've been interested in 'this sort of stuff' since I was about eighteen years old, which is some time ago 😁.   Re  ''consciousness surviving death only time will tell'' yes, of course. Interestingly I recently read an online article in the guardian how a some scientists are considering the possibility (very unusual for scientists as it can't be proven)

• Like 1

Can’t say I believe in God, but I do find the that gigantic sculpture of  The Angel of the North in Gateshead feels almost spiritual when driving past it or if I’m sat on the bus going past it..  This photo might just  bring  a peaceful presence on the Sheffield Forum for a few minutes.

image.thumb.png.1ea1e77ba9447ec3a93235e204a661e1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Can’t say I believe in God, but I do find the that gigantic sculpture of  The Angel of the North in Gateshead feels almost spiritual when driving past it or if I’m sat on the bus going past it..  This photo might just  bring  a peaceful presence on the Sheffield Forum for a few minutes.

image.thumb.png.1ea1e77ba9447ec3a93235e204a661e1.png

I have the same peaceful feeling watching a pint of Guinness settle. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Draggletail said:

YorkieonthetheTyne, yes you're right, it's all down to the individual, (and maybe the culture that they're born to or brought up in) I've been interested in 'this sort of stuff' since I was about eighteen years old, which is some time ago 😁.   Re  ''consciousness surviving death only time will tell'' yes, of course. Interestingly I recently read an online article in the guardian how a some scientists are considering the possibility (very unusual for scientists as it can't be proven)

Science can only address natural processes and phenomena. From this perspective, questions such as, what is  consciousness (which I believe is a soul) or what is meaning? are questions outside the scientific process.

It's probably why so many atheists conflate the two.

Science is always going to be limited and changing- as it is not 100% and doesn't claim to be. 

5 hours ago, Baz1 said:

Science can only address natural processes and phenomena. From this perspective, questions such as, what is  consciousness (which I believe is a soul) or what is meaning? are questions outside the scientific process.

It's probably why so many atheists conflate the two.

Science is always going to be limited and changing- as it is not 100% and doesn't claim to be. 

It has been less than two hundred years since education and the communication loosened the control of church, ruling class and state over its subjects. Their 'inventions' and abuse of concepts of 'ownership', 'duty', 'service',  'faith' and 'belief'  have been pushed back by the rapid expansion of  knowledge and understanding. 

The fast growing but "limited" and "changing" and "not 100%" understanding of the universe and what we do with it, is a far better scenario than a return to the world of imposed faiths and beliefs, compiled by the 'haves' to control the 'have-nots'. 

Attempts by thousand of religions with as many different beliefs, all of which are the 'right' one,  to control or define boundaries between themselves of what people can do is total hypocrisy,