Nicest / affordable places to buy in Sheffield

Hello!

I'm moving to Sheffield in a couple of days and have quite a lot to sort out!  If anyone could give advice on the following it would be really helpful:

1) I'm looking for a job in a Further Education College (GCSE Maths tutoring).  I've been looking at jobs online and there seem to be a few options; Sheffield College, Barnsley, Chesterfield etc.  Has anyone heard which of these might be better in terms of supportive management and friendliness?

2) I have some temporary accommodation sorted but would like to buy a modest house fairly soon.  My budget is about £130,000 maximum.  I'd like a Victorian terrace with 2-3 beds (I like attic rooms), and it needs to have good public transport links as I don't drive. It'd be nice if there was the odd cafe, pub, decent supermarket nearby.  I quite like charity shopping too!  Could anyone advise me where to start looking?  

Thanks  in advance for your assistance!

🙂

21 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

£130k isn't going to get you what your looking for. Never mind in a half decent area.

Perhaps means deposit.

That would be a 50% deposit on somewhere in Crookes, which looks like somewhere in his list of wishes.

Depending on where you work, might need to influence your preferred purchase area.
Maybe not ideal buying a house in Kiverton and relying on public transport to Barnsley, some areas of course are on train routes to Chesterfield or Barnsley.
Terraces in Sheffield below £130K are not that common in decent areas; Right move Link

image.png.a4055342c152cea87937d8d86ccb8518.png

A couple of people already commented similar to what I was thinking. 

With respect to the original poster, I feel they are very much cart before the horse here. They say they are still looking for jobs and seem to have the perfect vision of the house they want without actually knowing whether their budget stretches for that or even what sort of work they will be doing for how long. 

As others have said, £130k is not hardly going to get the quaint Victorian terrace perfect for the family with just the right amount of  bedrooms perfectly located with the country pub, local supermarket and frequent bus service. 

For that kind of money, they really need to be realistically looking at ex-local authority suburban semis or newer build terraces. Preferably close to one of the tram routes if they don't drive. 

Ask for question one, nobody really knows that. It's so subjective on how people's personalities get on. Some people may think their management is great and offers exactly what they want. Others may hate it. It's the basics of life in the working world. They really need to be making their own judgements during the interview process and their own research into whether they can suit the working environment and the sorts of role they'll be doing.

• Like 1

Ha!

Thanks for your replies.

You may not realise how low my standards are!  I've been living in the South East where the cheapest house on the market is £300,000 and is an ex council house in quite an undesirable area.

I'm basically coming from an area with the worst cost of living problem in the whole country.

Many of my friends in their forties and with well paying jobs are unable to buy anything at all, some sharing rented properties.

I'm on a fairly low income but don't have a family so would like a spare room for a lodger as I don't want to live alone.  I don't need to be in the Avocado on Toast parts of Sheffield!  I am completely aware that I can't afford to live in Crookes. 

There seem to be about 60 properties on Rightmove at the moment that are 2-3 bedrooms and less than £140,000.  I just wondered if any of these areas are ok or if I'll need to learn jiu jitsu?  I've been looking at Chapeltown and Chesterfield (yes, I know that's not on Sheffield!). I would be willing to redecorate / renovate a dated but functioning house and may even look at auction properties.

I'm a 'she' by the way, not that that's relevant!

(If I'm near a train station I can get to any of the colleges ok and it won't be a problem getting job as it's a shortage occupation), and I'm used to living on a low income.

Sorry, probably didn't give you enough information before!

Thanks for your help; probably best if I just look around anyway.

🙂

Parson Cross is worth considering.  More and more people are realising that this is an up and coming area where you can invest in an affordable property.  There are good public transport links too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/07/2024 at 04:41, Teacake68 said:

Ha!

Thanks for your replies.

You may not realise how low my standards are!  I've been living in the South East where the cheapest house on the market is £300,000 and is an ex council house in quite an undesirable area.

I'm basically coming from an area with the worst cost of living problem in the whole country.

Many of my friends in their forties and with well paying jobs are unable to buy anything at all, some sharing rented properties.

I'm on a fairly low income but don't have a family so would like a spare room for a lodger as I don't want to live alone.  I don't need to be in the Avocado on Toast parts of Sheffield!  I am completely aware that I can't afford to live in Crookes. 

There seem to be about 60 properties on Rightmove at the moment that are 2-3 bedrooms and less than £140,000.  I just wondered if any of these areas are ok or if I'll need to learn jiu jitsu?  I've been looking at Chapeltown and Chesterfield (yes, I know that's not on Sheffield!). I would be willing to redecorate / renovate a dated but functioning house and may even look at auction properties.

I'm a 'she' by the way, not that that's relevant!

(If I'm near a train station I can get to any of the colleges ok and it won't be a problem getting job as it's a shortage occupation), and I'm used to living on a low income.

Sorry, probably didn't give you enough information before!

Thanks for your help; probably best if I just look around anyway.

🙂

It's good that you've given more information about your situation. You'll now find that people will try to help and advise. That's the people of Sheffield for you!  Good luck to you! 

• Like 1