Nicest / affordable places to buy in Sheffield

On 30/06/2024 at 19:54, RJRB said:

Lower Walkley prices not bad and has good transport between Hillsborough and Kelham Island  and town centre by tram and bus.

we sold a 3 bed in Lower Walkley online auction last March 

https://online.auctionhouse.co.uk/lot/details/113228

you can get some good bargains at auction  in those areas  we were happy getting £135k we'd had it as rental for 10 years paid £105k in 2013

• Like 2

On 30/06/2024 at 19:41, Teacake68 said:

Ha!

Thanks for your replies.

You may not realise how low my standards are!  I've been living in the South East where the cheapest house on the market is £300,000 and is an ex council house in quite an undesirable area.

I'm basically coming from an area with the worst cost of living problem in the whole country.

Many of my friends in their forties and with well paying jobs are unable to buy anything at all, some sharing rented properties.

I'm on a fairly low income but don't have a family so would like a spare room for a lodger as I don't want to live alone.  I don't need to be in the Avocado on Toast parts of Sheffield!  I am completely aware that I can't afford to live in Crookes. 

There seem to be about 60 properties on Rightmove at the moment that are 2-3 bedrooms and less than £140,000.  I just wondered if any of these areas are ok or if I'll need to learn jiu jitsu?  I've been looking at Chapeltown and Chesterfield (yes, I know that's not on Sheffield!). I would be willing to redecorate / renovate a dated but functioning house and may even look at auction properties.

I'm a 'she' by the way, not that that's relevant!

(If I'm near a train station I can get to any of the colleges ok and it won't be a problem getting job as it's a shortage occupation), and I'm used to living on a low income.

Sorry, probably didn't give you enough information before!

Thanks for your help; probably best if I just look around anyway.

🙂

Depending on where you end up working, Chapeltown might be a good fit you.

There are trains to Barnsley, Huddersfield, Meadowhall and Sheffield from the station.

It also has some decent pubs and shops.

• Like 1

Would it not be best to first find a job and then think about buying a house - do you want a difficult or expensive commute also if you are seeking a mortgage then having a job I would have thought was going to be essential

• Like 1

Chapeltown is certainly worth investigating however commuting time is a big consideration . I am sorry  i cannot help with career advice ,

Good luck you luck in your new venture.

On 30/06/2024 at 20:47, redruby said:

Parson Cross is worth considering.  More and more people are realising that this is an up and coming area where you can invest in an affordable property.  There are good public transport links too.

To be fair, I thought this was a bit tongue in the cheek at first, but having looked at the house prices and recent sales in the area I’m actually quite shocked. Some nice big ex council houses too with very large gardens and driveways. 

Bus links are great as every bus seems to go to Parson Cross in North Sheffield. Just off top of my head there’s the 7, 8, 20, 31, 32, 83 and 86. Sure I’ll have missed some more…