Most OVERRATED performers ?

48 minutes ago, cressida said:

What of Rod Hull and Emu,  did he do anything else?

He did little else other that falling off a roof adjusting a T.V aerial. Sad end really. I read that he resented Emu because he thought it held him back from widening his career in show business.

25 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

He did little else other that falling off a roof adjusting a T.V aerial. Sad end really. I read that he resented Emu because he thought it held him back from widening his career in show business.

People then, and now, try and do things they want to, but find fame with something that they aren't keen on, but keep going because it earns money. 

I even saw it on youtube with someone I followed for learning purposes but they found fame for doing silly things... and now earn a living from doing silly films every day. It's difficult to know where the line is crossed, because I know my youtuber from chats and emails from when she had 1000 subs, and now has millions. So she is making good money now, but not from what she intended to do. I've never asked if she if she is happy doing it, but I suppose the money is good (it's not sexual content or dirty content btw) haha. It was a language learning channel, but now is (sarcastically) mocking foreigners.

I wonder what else Rod could do? I never saw anything other than with EMu. Was he a comedian? 

Saw Ken Dodd once. Started at 19:30, we left the theatre at 01:05 in the morning, with around a 30 minute break. I have always rated his singing as much as his comedy. His version of Matchstick Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs would probably be one of my Desert Island Discs.

Never saw Burt Lancaster as an entertainer.

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Saw Ken Dodd once. Started at 19:30, we left the theatre at 01:05 in the morning, with around a 30 minute break. I have always rated his singing as much as his comedy. His version of Matchstick Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs would probably be one of my Desert Island Discs.

There's a film out shortly featuring his family about his career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Fair comment and interesting. Sad to hear the person you interacted with on YouTube taught language but ended up mocking foreigners. I don't know Rod Hull's background either. Maybe he got lucky with emu and had aspirations to do more...

Not in a bad way!

It's more complex than that, but not worth going into, haha

Edited by *_ash_*
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

My parents saw him and said it went on for hours after the projected time, but was great. 

I don't know if I'd find him funny now, as it's a different era. 

I once saw Bob Monkhouse live at the club I worked at in Sheffield, and he was absolutely amazing. I had to promote him for weeks and thought it would be rubbish as I'd only seen him on TV.

Wow, was I shocked! I met him in the manager office too, and he was a great bloke. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

People then, and now, try and do things they want to, but find fame with something that they aren't keen on, but keep going because it earns money. 

I even saw it on youtube with someone I followed for learning purposes but they found fame for doing silly things... and now earn a living from doing silly films every day. It's difficult to know where the line is crossed, because I know my youtuber from chats and emails from when she had 1000 subs, and now has millions. So she is making good money now, but not from what she intended to do. I've never asked if she if she is happy doing it, but I suppose the money is good (it's not sexual content or dirty content btw) haha. It was a language learning channel, but now is (sarcastically) mocking foreigners.

I wonder what else Rod could do? I never saw anything other than with EMu. Was he a comedian? 

Fair comment and interesting. Sad that the YouTuber you had communicated with taught language but ended up mocking foreigners in her subsequent YouTube channel though. I don't know about Rod's background either. Maybe he had aspirations but felt stuck with emu and couldn't progress... 

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

My parents saw him and said it went on for hours after the projected time, but was great. 

I don't know if I'd find him funny now, as it's a different era. 

I once saw Bob Monkhouse live at the club I worked at in Sheffield, and he was absolutely amazing. I had to promote him for weeks and thought it would be rubbish as I'd only seen him on TV.

Wow, was I shocked! I met him in the manager office too, and he was a great bloke. 

Thing is Doddy wasn’t salacious, offensive or racist, occasionally slightly suggestive but that was it. There’s footage available of him doing the Good Old Days on YouTube, I can still watch it and laugh fit to burst. 
Bob Monkhouse had the same computer like memory as Doddy and could alter his performance according to his audience, although he could be really blue if the occasion allowed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1