Bomb Squad Conducts Controlled Explosion

A bomb squad was called into action to carry out a controlled explosion in Sheffield after the discovery of a historical explosive device.

Discovery and Response

The device was found in the River Don near Ball Street on Sunday, June 30. Upon discovery, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) experts quickly responded to the scene to assess the situation.

Safe Disposal

The EOD team transported the device to a secure location in the Parkwood Springs area. A cordon was established to ensure public safety during the controlled explosion.

Public Cooperation

South Yorkshire Police expressed gratitude for the public's cooperation during the operation. A spokesperson stated: "Bomb disposal experts from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) have this evening carried out a controlled explosion in the Parkwood Springs area of Sheffield after the discovery of a historic explosive device.

"We were called earlier today (June 30) to Ball Street following reports of a suspected explosive device found in the River Don. The EOD attended the scene before transporting the device to a safe location and carrying out a controlled explosion, with a cordon put in place for the public's safety.

"That cordon has now been lifted, and we would like to thank the public for their cooperation and understanding."

• Like 1

Live not too far away, and I'm sure I heard this, I thought "That sounded like an explosion, I wonder if someone's nicked and burnt a car or something" - now I know what it was :)