September 2024 bus changes - consultations

12 minutes ago, Resident said:

I'm told that there are 2 issues at play, however source cannot be confirmed so pinch of salt time:

Cost  - Costs 3 times more to register a new route number than it does to register a route variant. 
Interference by Mr Coppard - not wanting certain numbers used

I agree with you though, it's going to cause a lot of confusion. Especially the 95 having 4 variants (95/95s/95b/95a) with different destinations. 

Cost angle I can understand - if true

Interference by Oliver though is totally believable - god help us if he ever gets his grubby mitts on the whole service.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2024 at 12:31, RollingJ said:

One thing that is starting to 'worry' me - if that is the correct term, is the creeping tendency to add letters to route numbers - as these are usually smaller than the digital portion, they are easier to miss, and, purely IMO, can lead to confusion - your take, @Andy C?

apparently for those with bad eyesight displaying letters in lower case is better as it can be identified easier than a capital letter that may look similar to a number. There's also guidance in  how destinations are displayed - all capitals and scrolling information are both apparently no-nos.

As far as how people are likely to understand numbering schemes that's not a simple answer -  depends on the audience, how well it is communicated and various other factors. In the case of the various versions of the 95, they all go the same route from Walkley to the City Centre and 95 is a long standing route number for that corridor - those local passengers still have the number 95 they are familiar with and don't need to worry about the letter after the number. For those heading east of the City Centre they are all pretty much new routes people will need to learn the numbers of so perhaps also not too big an issue. 

Talking of the 95, a route map is available to download: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sites/default/files/public/node_images/south-yorkshire/73_95_Map-WEB_2.pdf

On 13/08/2024 at 15:50, Resident said:

I'm told that there are 2 issues at play, however source cannot be confirmed so pinch of salt time:

Cost  - Costs 3 times more to register a new route number than it does to register a route variant. 
Interference by Mr Coppard - not wanting certain numbers used

I agree with you though, it's going to cause a lot of confusion. Especially the 95 having 4 variants (95/95s/95b/95a) with different destinations. 

Suspect in the case of the 95 the good folk of Walkley were perhaps vocal in the consultation?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andy C said:

apparently for those with bad eyesight displaying letters in lower case is better as it can be identified easier than a capital letter that may look similar to a number. There's also guidance in  how destinations are displayed - all capitals and scrolling information are both apparently no-nos.

As far as how people are likely to understand numbering schemes that's not a simple answer -  depends on the audience, how well it is communicated and various other factors. In the case of the various versions of the 95, they all go the same route from Walkley to the City Centre and 95 is a long standing route number for that corridor - those local passengers still have the number 95 they are familiar with and don't need to worry about the letter after the number. For those heading east of the City Centre they are all pretty much new routes people will need to learn the numbers of so perhaps also not too big an issue. 

Talking of the 95, a route map is available to download: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sites/default/files/public/node_images/south-yorkshire/73_95_Map-WEB_2.pdf

Dunno about the lower case being better - on the First vehicles, at least, that I've seen, the letter  is so small that even corrected, but good, eyesight has a problem.

The 95 is not a route I have used, or likely to, but although, as I am told, it is cheaper to register a variation, rather than a new route, to me this is just making things over-complicated.

As to your follow-up post, that may be true, but it is still making things complicated.

• Like 1

This service is very poor:

75/76 - New route for North Sheffield

75 - will serve Northen General Hospital and extended from Shiregreen to Chapeltown twice an hour, replacing service 1a. Two an hour will run from Shiregreen via Parson Cross (Asda) to Foxhill. 

33 minutes ago, rogets said:

I was left stranded in the middle of nowhere by a bus that didn't stop for me just outside the MnS on Ecclesall Road.

2/10 Troll effort. 

• Haha 2

On 13/08/2024 at 12:31, RollingJ said:

One thing that is starting to 'worry' me - if that is the correct term, is the creeping tendency to add letters to route numbers - as these are usually smaller than the digital portion, they are easier to miss, and, purely IMO, can lead to confusion - your take, @Andy C?

One of the proposed Stagecoach changes actually goes the other way, and renumbers the 43a to become 42 (no route change as far as I can tell).

8 hours ago, pfifes said:

This service is very poor:

75/76 - New route for North Sheffield

75 - will serve Northen General Hospital and extended from Shiregreen to Chapeltown twice an hour, replacing service 1a. Two an hour will run from Shiregreen via Parson Cross (Asda) to Foxhill. 

Why?