September 2024 bus changes - consultations

On 28/07/2024 at 21:13, Jeffrey Shaw said:

AndyC: the link in your Friday post re svc. 82 does not make sense (First's errors, not your, I know!)

It says this of the route:

Service 82 will be revised to serve Greystones, from Ecclesall Rd South, buses will run via Greystones Rd, High Storrs School, Hoober Ave, Knowle Ave,  returning via Dobcroft Rd, Bents Green and Greystones Rd.

But that's wrong, as follows:

1. There's no such road hereabouts as 'Knowle Avenue'. It must mean Knowle Lane.

2. Once the bus proceeds from High Storrs School down Hoober Avenue, will it turn right or left into Knowle Lane?

3. If right into Knowle Lane, it's heading back up towards the Hammer & Pincers. So does it go down Bents Road, left to Eccclesall Road South, and right to Dobcroft Road? and, if so, where then?

4. Or if right into Knowle Lane, it's heading down to Eccclesall Road South. If so, where then?

5. And neither the right or left into Knowle Lane would enable it to return 'via Dobcroft Road and Greystones Road', which are nowhere near each other!

6. So maybe it means Greystones Rd, High Storrs School, Hoober Ave, right to Knowle Laneleft to Bents Road, returning via Eccclesall Road South, Dobcroft Rd, Millhouses, Springfield Road, Woodholm Road, right to Eccclesall Road South, right to Bents Road, Bents Green, left at High Storrs School, and Greystones Rd. (which would be bizarre).

7. Your guess?

The 82 is replacing the 6 around Greystones so I'd guess it will be doing something quite similar to that.

image.png.1ad197801292f46fb58e08273944a150.png

So that's RIGHT from High Storrs Road into Ringinglow Road [not Knowle Lane].

Maybe then via Bents Green, down Bents Road, right into Dobcroft Road, round the loop, up Woodholm Road, forward to Knowle Lane, right into Hoober Avenue, forward into High Storrs Road, and back via Greystones Road.

(Loopy is about the right description!)

Do they publish notices of upcoming changes or consultations on bus stops?

I ask because a couple of neighbours who are wheelchair bound, regularly use the local buses and had no ideas about these changes until this Monday (05/08) just gone, they only found out because the bus driver mentioned it.... they were all set to complain to the council and rant to MPs because they thought their service was being cancelled... when in fact it's just having a number change, the driver obviously didn't explain it fully.

I had to find this thread and forward him the link to the changes to settle him down 😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Pyrotequila They do very occasionally put notices up about changes on stops, but they only direct you to online sources, the actual changes are not available on the stops.

They're not very tech-savvy, that's likely why they didn't spot it then 👍

One thing that is starting to 'worry' me - if that is the correct term, is the creeping tendency to add letters to route numbers - as these are usually smaller than the digital portion, they are easier to miss, and, purely IMO, can lead to confusion - your take, @Andy C?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

One thing that is starting to 'worry' me - if that is the correct term, is the creeping tendency to add letters to route numbers - as these are usually smaller than the digital portion, they are easier to miss, and, purely IMO, can lead to confusion - your take, @Andy C?

I'm told that there are 2 issues at play, however source cannot be confirmed so pinch of salt time:

Cost  - Costs 3 times more to register a new route number than it does to register a route variant. 
Interference by Mr Coppard - not wanting certain numbers used

I agree with you though, it's going to cause a lot of confusion. Especially the 95 having 4 variants (95/95s/95b/95a) with different destinations.