4 hours ago, Draggletail said:

I'm not religious, but I'm not comfortable with the thought of dying and there being nothing more. I remember when I was young and lying in bed at night pondering that there might be nothing after death, the idea didn't frighten me but I felt very certain that it wasn't an option. I still feel that there's more, like the possibility of consciousness surviving death. But I don't feel 100 percent sure! ;) 

You can be sure there's nothing after death.  Your consciousness comes from your brain that stores your collective memories and experience.  When your brain dies and decomposes, so do "you"!

I suppose for those with degenerative or terminal illnesses, it's eventually a relief to die a peaceful and pain-free death?  Those fortunate enough to be fit and healthy into old age are perhaps not in such a hurry to think about it so often.

For me, I would like to go peacefully in my sleep.  If I get to the stage where I may start to become too reliant on others, then I would deploy the means necessary for a final exit without harming anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I am quite scared of dying.

Given the choice, would you want to know exactly when you are going to die?

Me, no chance, my partner, yes she would.

If you go on the internet there are loads of 'When will I die?' websites where you can input age, health & lifestyle data & they'll give you a guesstimate. 

11 hours ago, Draggletail said:

One thing for sure, it's going to come to us all. So, how would you 'prefer' to go? Suddenly, and without pain or lingering? loved ones around you and with time to say goodbye? Any other thoughts? Have you even made a will? (I haven't and should)

I scattered my Dad's ashes at the river Knidd in Knaresborough a long time ago. He loved the place. It wasn't the best ending for any of us, he'd abruptly and unexpectedly left the family home and then got remarried months later. Shortly after that, he was diagnosed with cancer and very suddenly died in the night. 

Years later Mum ended up in a hospice, I was fortunate enough to be called to the hospice in time to say goodbye to her. She was barely conscious and before I left I told her that I loved her. She heard me, I didn't think that she was capable due to the morphine, but she whispered back "I love you too" - her last words to me. As they say these days, I had closure. I was fortunate. 

Share, if you want to.

If I knew I was going I'd turn all lights on gas on and all taps in house 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

As my late beloved grandfather used to say about death in his usual light manner.

“There are folk dying now that have never died before”.

My latest experience of death was my lovely dog Ellie, she died a quick death last month age 14, she was jumping in and out of my car a few days earlier on our regular Peak Park trips,. I’d put myself down for going in a similar way.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

You can be sure there's nothing after death.  Your consciousness comes from your brain that stores your collective memories and experience.  When your brain dies and decomposes, so do "you"!

The truth is that we can’t be sure of anything none physical after death.

• Like 1