23 hours ago, Padders said:

Rogets does have a point Mr. Longcol.

Don't forget he fought in 2 World Wars.

True, the people who claim to have been from a previous life were never anything dull like a painter and decorator from 1742, they were william the conquerer for example

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rogets said:

True, the people who claim to have been from a previous life were never anything dull like a painter and decorator from 1742, they were william the conquerer for example

I've often thought that Mr. Rogets.

A lot of these "Spirits" are usually Monks, Kings, Shining Knights who've all met a violent death.

Queens who have been beheaded and walk around carrying their head under their arm.

You never see a Hod carrier who fell to his death from scaffolding walking around carrying his Hod?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Me too, or at least quite conscious of death. I wasn't afraid but I suppose you wouldn't be at that age. I would have been around 17.

I think I might have posted this earlier in the thread, but I remember being young and laying in bed at night pondering about death and the possibility that there might be 'nothing' after dying, and I just felt very strongly that a 'nothingness' wasn't an option, and that there was more. Oddly, I can't remember how old I was, not even ballpark.

I can relate to that- I wouldn't describe my thinking of death as something morbid, but a reminder.

Helps me keep my focus better, I also remind my kids that "remember you will leave this world one day with nothing, but only be remembered for how you were"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It must be awful having someone to help you with personal care or as Anna said going in a home and sat all day drooling away.  As awful as it is visiting your friend in the home must help him from being stressed and to break up his day.  

I hope it does, and as painful as it is to see a man I liked as a friend and respected as a work colleague in the condition he's in now I'm going to call in every couple of weeks for a chat. His wife, children and grandchildren visit him regularly so he's not without company.

His wife is very religious and that helps her cope. Although raised in a religion I'm agnostic but appreciate the comfort that faith can bring to those who believe.

Death comes to us all but some ways are more bearable than others.  Dementia and Alzheimer's are a painful way to lose someone. They are gone as the person you knew before they die and can leave memories that are difficult to live with and add to the pain of loss.

I've thought on many occasions, if someone dies in their sleep & they're dreaming at that poimt, I wonder if the dream actually remains with them for at least a short time after death? 

18 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Crikey. I bet that felt strange.  And to be honest that does feel like a message of some kind. Did it ever restart at any point? 

It definately felt significant. The clock started working again after I gave one of the hands a little nudge and it kept on running fine after that.

5 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

It definately felt significant. The clock started working again after I gave one of the hands a little nudge and it kept on running fine after that.

Well that's definitely quite spooky but I'd put money on it was a message. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Anna B said:

Trouble is medics can now prolong life past its natural span, when without help it would (and probably should) die. People are living longer, but in many cases the final months/years are not really worth having.

If you need support to keep you alive, be that medical or physical, you have to ask yourself if it's worth it, and be able to decide for yourself.

Unfortunately under current law, that decision is not yours to make,  doctors can keep you alive whether you like it or not, you have no say in the matter.   

We can't be made to have a potentially life saving treatment though, cancer for instance. It's our choice, surely. 

On 03/07/2024 at 20:21, Draggletail said:

One thing for sure, it's going to come to us all. So, how would you 'prefer' to go? Suddenly, and without pain or lingering? loved ones around you and with time to say goodbye? Any other thoughts? Have you even made a will? (I haven't and should)

I scattered my Dad's ashes at the river Knidd in Knaresborough a long time ago. He loved the place. It wasn't the best ending for any of us, he'd abruptly and unexpectedly left the family home and then got remarried months later. Shortly after that, he was diagnosed with cancer and very suddenly died in the night. 

Years later Mum ended up in a hospice, I was fortunate enough to be called to the hospice in time to say goodbye to her. She was barely conscious and before I left I told her that I loved her. She heard me, I didn't think that she was capable due to the morphine, but she whispered back "I love you too" - her last words to me. As they say these days, I had closure. I was fortunate. 

Share, if you want to.