44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

When Gramps died I was 14 years old, he had dementia and wasn't the man I knew. He was prone to outburst and he didn't know who anyone was. He died with his wife, daughters, son, grandkids around him. 

My Nan died peacefully with her sons, daughters, grandkids around her, I just wanted to get home and comfort the kids. I was no use to my Nan as I was a wreck. She didn't need that.

When Dad died I did try. I got the call, rushed down to see him, walked into the room and broke down. The 6ft 2 inch man I knew was a grey, frail man hunched over and dying. He had his wife, daughters, son. Son in law around him so I left. 

The room was full of crying people. Nobody needed another one there. 

To the smug git who tried to have a pop at me for leaving them? 

Well done for showing your real self. I hope you are proud 👏 

Fourteen years old and is young, especially under the circumstances of your Gramps condition. He died with his wife, daughters, son, and grandkids around him, that surely was enough.
With your Nan, and your Dad, you did what you had to do, for yourself and your kids. Your Nan and Dad also weren't alone when they went. 👍

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

My great grandpa was 87 when he died. He plastered someone’s ceiling on the Tuesday, went out drinking with his mates on the Wednesday and passed away on the Thursday. If I can go like that I’ll be happy. 

Sounds like a good way to go.

20 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I don't do death. 

I refused to see Gramps on his deathbed.

I refused to see Nan on her deathbed and I refused to see Dad on his. Caused quite a few problems with the family but I just prefer to remember them how they were. Not some frail, dying shell of a person who bares little to no resemblance to the person I knew and loved. 

I have to say The Daddy , I can see where you are coming from . It is not nice to see someone you love die . 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes, it was the easiest way to describe why I didn't see them pass away. I refused to see them out to the end would have been more accurate.

I didn't see my Mum out to the end either, she was on morphine the last time I saw her, and as I said in my original post I was lucky enough to tell her I loved her and got a whispered response that she loved me too, for which I was very grateful. She died the next day in the hospice.

Seeing someone actually die/pass away is a whole different thing altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If folk that shower the dead and close to death with love and respect did the same when they were alive and well that’s fine, so don’t let the chance to show these emotions before it’s too late.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Padders said:

Interesting Mr. Trastrick,

I often think along similar lines..

The chemicals that were mixed to create the unique "you" will occur again and again, they've got to.

It might take a 100 billions of years to happen, but that's just a nano-second of eternity.

I believe in reincarnation.

I hedge my bets.

If I have to kill an insect, I make sure its a quick and painless death!😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I’m not frightened off death but I’m frightened of how I’m going to die.  My biggest fear is having a stroke, losing your speech and being left paralysed.  
Deaf should be an extension of going to sleep, but obviously you don’t wake up.

Same as sleep, except you don't dream!

11 hours ago, crookesey said:

As my late beloved grandfather used to say about death in his usual light manner.

“There are folk dying now that have never died before”.

Remember to show up at all your mates funerals.

If you don't, they might not come to yours!

22 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Same as sleep, except you don't dream!

I've always thought that Hamlets soliloquy ' To be, or not to be ' which is about death contains one of the most chilling lines in all of literature.  While contemplating death Hamlet says " To sleep, perchance to dream-- aye there's the rub: For in that sleep of death what dreams may come, When we have shuffled off this mortal coil ".

Shakespeare was in my opinion one of the greatest Englishmen to have ever existed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, m williamson said:

I've always thought that Hamlets soliloquy ' To be, or not to be ' which is about death contains one of the most chilling lines in all of literature.  While contemplating death Hamlet says " To sleep, perchance to dream-- aye there's the rub: For in that sleep of death what dreams may come, When we have shuffled off this mortal coil ".

Shakespeare was in my opinion one of the greatest Englishmen to have ever existed.

It was Benny Hill for me .

• Like 1