Northern General Hospital parking

Went to visit Mum at Northern General . I was driving all over trying to find a parking spot . Failed miserably , ended up parking on a side street . They need to provide more car parking facilities . My brother used to work there & said they were supposed to build more , but never happened . A hospital of this size ,should have more parking available . So during the week , we are getting taxis , less hassle 

I've had most success in the slightly hidden overflow carpark here
Alternatively, I've parked at Hillsborough Morrisons and caught the H1 bus from in front of B&Q
image.png.534a9926b5f1d58855735ce40d07e04b.png

• Like 1

If you add more parking, more people (currently using bus, taxi etc) will choose to drive, the extra spaces will fill up, and you're back to square one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Northern General Hospital is bad, but the Hallamshire Hospital is positively catastrophic.

The multi storey is invariably full and there's pretty much nowhere else to go; double yellow lines on all side roads. Disabled parking is very limited and even that is  fair walk to get to the hospital.  Bottlenecks all over the place.

It might have seemed like a good idea to put 5 major hospitals in the same area, but the parking needs to be much improved, especially for the disabled who can't use public transport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a direct bus service from S17, it takes circa one hour and drops you off outside the Herries Road entrance. As a Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferer one hour of sitting on a bus seat and then having a long walk to the Rheumatology Dept is too much for me.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Went to visit Mum at Northern General . I was driving all over trying to find a parking spot . Failed miserably , ended up parking on a side street . They need to provide more car parking facilities . My brother used to work there & said they were supposed to build more , but never happened . A hospital of this size ,should have more parking available . So during the week , we are getting taxis , less hassle 

It is the largest hospital in the uk by area  and most of the parking is taken up by the staff, once again  running the place for the benefit of the staff and not the end user.

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

We have a direct bus service from S17, it takes circa one hour and drops you off outside the Herries Road entrance. As a Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferer one hour of sitting on a bus seat and then having a long walk to the Rheumatology Dept is too much for me.

I don't know what bus you catch, but if the route crosses the H1 bus from The Hallamshire to TNG, then if you can swap busses,  it drops you off at the clock tower.
Only runs  about every 30 minutes and no evening weekend service though
https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/timetabledetails/4179a789-0ec8-454f-923e-a1dcb7ef6f8c

• Like 3

Providing unregulated car parking at Weston Hospital Park is an example of what happens when one group of hospital users dominates.

The inconsiderate blocking of roads in the area delays everybody and prevents the vast majority of users 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, choogling said:

It is the largest hospital in the uk by area  and most of the parking is taken up by the staff, once again  running the place for the benefit of the staff and not the end user.

I have no idea how many carparks are for Staff Choogling , but there are a lot of staff . I was speaking to the Ward Manager the other day & she was saying , even though they pay directly out of their wages , like I did , they are not guaranteed a space . 

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

Northern General Hospital is bad, but the Hallamshire Hospital is positively catastrophic.

The multi storey is invariably full and there's pretty much nowhere else to go; double yellow lines on all side roads. Disabled parking is very limited and even that is  fair walk to get to the hospital.  Bottlenecks all over the place.

It might have seemed like a good idea to put 5 major hospitals in the same area, but the parking needs to be much improved, especially for the disabled who can't use public transport.

Oh Anna , please don't get me started on the Hallamshire . That is a complete disaster for parking , hence it's taxis again