Far right in France, and what will the implications will be?

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

'Arrogance and egotism' appeals to some voters as very little thinking is required. 

Instead, hard work, honesty, policy and direction should define a politician, whatever their politics

Not me!

15 hours ago, Prettytom said:

It looks as though it has been a grim week for the right wing in  France, just like in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ck7gydwgvy8t

Well done French voters.

I wouldn't go that far. 

The left might have fought back in the second round but they still failed to get any sort of majority and the centrist pm is resigning.

Just like over here, the extreme right has had some impact and people are starting to take notice.

Just like in our elections, Labour may well have hit their majority and wiped out the Tories, but four Reform MPs still actually got seats. That includes Nigel Farage who for years was a running joke. I have many a time mocked him for being a serial loser politician with his seven-year run of failing to ever get elected as an MP in the commons. But despite all odds now he has. He and three others are actually a voice in parliament, actually have officers in Westminster and just like any other can bid and argue and scheme and shout to get on committees, to put bills forward, have the debate, vote and block.    Four people from a party who who not so long ago was a easy target in figure of fun on Have I Got New For You etc

Fact is it's happening. Might be small scale but it is happening and people are taking notice just like they will be in France. 

Ask for the other side of the world.... Well the impact and influence of the perceived extreme right wing unhinged brigade speaks for itself. It actually is credible being that could get back into supreme power. 

In politics, there's never time for complacency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I wouldn't go that far. 

The left might have fought back in the second round but they still failed to get any sort of majority and the centrist pm is resigning.

Just like over here, the extreme right has had some impact and people are starting to take notice.

Just like in our elections, Labour may well have hit their majority and wiped out the Tories, but four Reform MPs still actually got seats. That includes Nigel Farage who for years was a running joke. I have many a time mocked him for being a serial loser politician with his seven-year run of failing to ever get elected as an MP in the commons. But despite all odds now he has. He and three others are actually a voice in parliament, actually have officers in Westminster and just like any other can bid and argue and scheme and shout to get on committees, to put bills forward, have the debate, vote and block.    Four people from a party who who not so long ago was a easy target in figure of fun on Have I Got New For You etc

Fact is it's happening. Might be small scale but it is happening and people are taking notice just like they will be in France. 

Ask for the other side of the world.... Well the impact and influence of the perceived extreme right wing unhinged brigade speaks for itself. It actually is credible being that could get back into supreme power. 

I agree there's no room for complacency. The main parties need to deliver for ordinary people or those people will be attracted by the simplistic 'solutions' of the far right. And I think that means policies that are not only aimed at the business class. Macron's policies are very much for business and not for ordinary people and I think it's no coincidence that the far right have grown their influence on his watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I wouldn't go that far. 

That's assuming Farage decides to turn up in parliament. When he was an MEP he had the second worst attendance record of all MEPs, the man who had the worst was disabled, paralysed from the waist down and hospitalised for long periods.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-worst-8302679

The fact that he didn't turn up as often as he should have - given that he was representing the UK in the EU -  did not however prevent him from making full use of the European Unions MEP expenses provision.

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-expenses-claims-are-erroneous-10409538

He also has the problem that in order to make a point he requires the Speaker to call him, and as Reform have six parties with more seats than them and the DUP have the same number, I wouldn't expect the gurner to get too much exposure. For which I personally am grateful.

On 08/07/2024 at 12:02, ECCOnoob said:

I wouldn't go that far. 

Like more appearances on "Question Time" than any politician bar Heseltine.

Farage is largely a creation of the BBC.

• Like 1