Tory leadership contest 2024

I doubt whether the next one will be better or worse than the last few.  Normally in the past, when there was disquiet and revolt in a political party, a party 'Grandee' would be wheeled out to re-align things and  bring everyone back together.  The likes of Ken Clarke and his generation aren't there to fall back on any more.  The new generation of politicians seem to be a clone of each other.  Same mannerisms, same rhetoric and a delivery not unlike all the journalistic puppets in the style of Robert (longest pause to draw breath in the world) Peston!

• Like 2

Interesting piece here in MEE by Peter Oborne; ex of Mail, Telegraph, & Spectator amongst other distinctly left wing outlets. [Wiki link]

It's mainly about Jenrick & Badenoch; other individuals come up in the discussion , though not as potential leaders.

UK Tory leadership race lurches into dangerous far-right territory    

The British Conservative Party is mutating at high speed into a far-right movement comparable to the anti-immigrant Alternative fur Deutschland party, which last weekend surged to power in the German state of Thuringia.

The fact that this has happened to a party that has been a symbol of British political stability for two centuries should ring alarm bells with anyone who cares about democracy. 

• Like 1

Labour did exactly the same when they lost in 2010.  Chose the wrong candidate, lurched too far to the extreme and lost alot of support.

14 years to rebuild from that mess.  Longer than they were previously in power for.  

• Like 1

Lol....

James Cleverly says he's 'outperformed' other Tory leadership candidates, but is 'underestimated' because he doesn't boast

James Cleverly has suggested that his own modesty is partly holding him back in his campaign to be the next Tory leader.

He made the argument in an interview with the BBC’s Nick Robinson in which he claimed that, although he was better qualified than his revivals, his reluctance to boast about it led to him being “underestimated”.

Cleverly is one of four candidates left in the contest. In the latest round of voting on Tuesday, he was joint third with Tom Tugendhat, behind Kemi Badenoch and Robert Jenrick, who came top.

But Cleverly has more ministerial experience than the others, and he has held two of the three so-called great offices of state (having been foreign secretary, and home secretary – but not chancellor) – something few politicians achieve.

Speaking on Robinson’s Political Thinking podcast, Cleverly said:

I’ve outperformed everyone else on this leadership ticket … I’ve outperformed all the other runners and riders by a country mile - outperformed almost everyone else in my parliamentary intake. If you Tipp-exed the words ‘James Cleverly’ off my political CV and slid it across the desk, you’d look at it and go, ‘bloody hell’.

Cleverly claimed that he was “really good at his job”, but that his talents weren’t always appreciated because his reluctance to go on about this.

I’m really good at my job. And I’ve spent a lot of my career being a little bit diffident. I’m surrounded in my work by people that parade their accomplishments like peacock feathers. And that’s not a criticism, it’s just an observation.

I’ve perhaps through my career been a little bit less like that. And I’m therefore conscious that sometimes I’ve been under-estimated …

I’m actually really quite good at my job. And I’m a bit fed up of pretending that I’m not good at my job.

(Source: The Guardian)

Shock Laugh GIFs | Tenor

On 10/09/2024 at 10:42, geared said:

Labour did exactly the same when they lost in 2010.  Chose the wrong candidate, lurched too far to the extreme and lost alot of support.

14 years to rebuild from that mess.  Longer than they were previously in power for.  

I don't think they ever successfully rebuilt - people just thought that Starmer's Labour was less odious and crooked than the Tories.