Tory leadership contest 2024

42 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I worked for a company that didn’t look favourably on applications from existing staff members for top jobs. In fact I turned down a job offer that was in effect a promotion, but didn’t give me the scope to be offered the job that I really wanted. Another trick is to quietly start a rumour relating to the job that you coveted, there are several ways of being a smart arse, I preferred the quiet one. 😉

Stick to mowing lawns Mr. Crookesey..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, peak4 said:

Does it? As I read it, candidates must pay the party, and there will be further spending for their campaigns themselves up to a set limit.
"The contest will also be a “pay to play” affair, with candidates needing to have raised £50,000 to reach the final four, who will make their case to party members at the Tory conference in autumn. Money raised will go towards the cost of that event.

Candidates will then need to have £150,000 to make the final shortlist of two, which will be put to party members."

The cash is surely raised by donors, and campaigners themselves,  up to a total limit of £400K
A major question from me is how much influence a donor might be able to buy.

Indeed.

It gets you a pass into No 10 for starters.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/aug/25/labour-donor-quits-treasury-role-amid-cronyism-claims

• Like 1

The Conservative leadership contest has been whittled down to four candidates after former cabinet minister Mel Stride was knocked out in a vote of Tory MPs.

The former immigration minister Robert Jenrick finished top with 33 votes, with Kemi Badenoch second on 28 votes.

James Cleverly and Tom Tugendhat got 21 votes each from Tory MPs, leaving Mel Stride with the fewest votes on 16.

There will be further voting by MPs after the party’s conference next month to select the final two to be put to a vote of Tory members, who get the final say over who will be the new leader.

On 16/09/2024 at 11:54, geared said:

Sunak won all 5 of the MP's ballot in the summer 2022 leadership election, only to then comprehensively lose the members ballot.

Do you think the Tory membership will choose a non white candidate instead of a white candidate given the choice this time?

3 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

Do you think the Tory membership will choose a non white candidate instead of a white candidate given the choice this time?

Evening Westy, I think the Tory membership will choose a candidate who is totally deranged!

• Confused 1