Tory leadership contest 2024

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Pity Penny Mordaunt lost her seat. IMO she might have made a good, charismatic leader for the Tories.  Maybe they can parachute her into a safe seat in the near future.

Not sure there is such a thing as a safe Tory seat, but maybe in a few years?

Badenoch is the bookies favourite, with Hunt, Tugenhat and Patel also runners

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Pity Penny Mordaunt lost her seat. IMO she might have made a good, charismatic leader for the Tories.  Maybe they can parachute her into a safe seat in the near future.

That could transform that "safe seat" into a not-so-safe seat.  The electorate don't take kindly to carpetbaggers.

Victoria Atkins and Robert Jenrick would be a good choice for the Tory membership.  There is no need to rush to appoint a new permanent leader.  The best thing to do is appoint a caretaker leader and wait  six months before starting the process of electing a new leader.  During that time someone previously not well known could emerge as the best choice for leader. 

• Like 2

Just seen that Jeremy Hunt has ruled himself out from standing which makes him an ideal choice as caretaker leader.  He is a good choice for a Conservative  MP to oppose Statmer at Prime Minister Questions for the first few months of a Labour government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

James Cleverly is the man for the job. 

A bloke who served under Johnson (as Education Secretary); under Truss (as Foreign Secretary); under Sunak (as Home Secretary). Do you think that’ll tempt voters back to the Conservative Party?

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

It needs a fresh new face to help rebuild a once respected political party.

I think you have something there.

Posted (edited)

Braverman stirring up hatred, again:

image.png.bdb6ca702896248bec470ef764100dba.png

On a political level, part of me hopes she gets the job as she will make the Tories unelectable, however I don't want our public space being polluted by this woman. 

You'd have thought she learned her lesson from her time as Home Secretary when she whipped up far right sentiment in the shape of Tommy Robinson when there were the demos about the war in the Middle East.

An unbelievably tone deaf woman.

Edited by Mister M

30 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Braverman stirring up hatred, again:

image.png.bdb6ca702896248bec470ef764100dba.png

On a political level, part of me hopes she gets the job as she will make the Tories unelectable, however I don't want our public space being polluted by this woman. 

You'd have thought she learned her lesson from her time as Home Secretary when she whipped up far right sentiment in the shape of Tommy Robinson when there were the demos about the war in the Middle East.

An unbelievably tone deaf woman.

My bold.

It's a good job you don't make the rules then isn't it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

It's a good job you don't make the rules then isn't it.

What rules?

The rules on here, or those of the Conservative Party?

Never claimed that I did.

Though as someone with a stake in LGB issues, I don't want someone seeking high office starting a culture war about people like me. Very simply, we know from the experiences of disabled people, Muslims and transgendered people, when they are made scapegoats by high profile politicians, they are subject to both physical and verbal attacks. 

If you want to have a target placed on your back for who you are, fine go ahead, but don't expect that from others.

• Like 1