Tory leadership contest 2024

10 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

I will help you get your head sorted. Only 33% of the electorate who voted in the general election chose Labour which is much lower than 52% who voted to leave the EU. The referendum was a much higher vote turnout than the recent general election turnout.  The referendum was about one single issue unlike  general elections which are about numerous issues. It was the MP's themselves who voted to allow the UK public to decide whether the country remained in or left the EU.

37% of the electorate voted for Brexit in the referendum. Not much different to Labours vote in the last GE.

Most people who voted Labour are still alive too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

37% of the electorate voted for Brexit in the referendum. Not much different to Labours vote in the last GE.

Most people who voted Labour are still alive too.

You're playing the nitpicking game.  They only count actual votes of the people who turnout to vote which is why 52% beats 48% . Over 17 million people voted to leave the EU while only 9 million people voted for Labour at the last general election.  8 million is a big difference in votes to anyone who is not a nitpicker.

What strikes me as characteristic of this leadership contest is just how base and revolting candidates feel they have to be to get the votes of the membership. That in itself tells a story, but this from Kemi Badenoch is jaw droppingly crass:

Just horrible - what a sneering and snobby thing to say.
Thing is, she couldn't do the job of being a care worker - to do that job well you need to be empathic and tactful under pressure. She seems to rejoice in being a ****

• Sad 1

So the 4 have spoken and I would imagine it will come down to Jenrick and Cleverley.
I suspect Cleverley might get the nod as being the least unloved amongst the Party .

He made a few claims on his achievements in various positions and went on about having served his apprenticeship.

Some of his claims could easily be challenged.

He was in some senior position for most of the last Conservative reign so I fail to see what he achieved in terms of immigration control and having achieved any form of a beneficial Brexit.

I liked his comment than no one should pay more than 50 p in the £ tax so  that will be terrific for nobody but the very well paid.

Its early days and Starmer has not hit the ground running but he has time and the majority to get control and make some much needed changes .

On 01/10/2024 at 17:45, High Chaparral said:

Kemi Badenoch was correct in saying maternity pay is a burden for employers. Kemi Badenoch's big mistake is backtracking rather than not defending her original comment.  Robert Jenerick has stuck to his guns regarding his comment about the ECHR being responsible for terrorists being taken out by the SAS rather than being captured. If politicians stand by their beliefs then they are more credible than politicians  who quickly backtrack after being challenged. 

Jolly good - why then did Tom Tugenhadt and James Cleverly both flat out reject and contradict Generic? 

Ans it's not a matter of beliefs, Generic has said British soldiers execute summary justice. So where's his evidence?

Edited by Mister M

19 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Jolly good - why then did Tom Tugenhadt and James Cleverly both flat out reject and contradict Generic? 

Ans it's not a matter of beliefs, Generic has said British soldiers execute summary justice. So where's his evidence?

Because they are not as bright as Robert Jenrick.  What Robert Jenrick stated is that the UK military use drones to take out terrorists rather than trying to capture them.  There is a big risk for soldiers  in trying to capture terrorists and if they are captured  it's likely the ECHR will allow the terrorists to be freed.  Ben Wallace said the same thing a number of years ago when he was the minister for defence.  

58 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

Because they are not as bright as Robert Jenrick.  What Robert Jenrick stated is that the UK military use drones to take out terrorists rather than trying to capture them.  There is a big risk for soldiers  in trying to capture terrorists and if they are captured  it's likely the ECHR will allow the terrorists to be freed.  Ben Wallace said the same thing a number of years ago when he was the minister for defence.  

Not as bright as Robert Jenrick 

You mean the one who was handing out baseball caps with the name 'Bobby J' on?

He's a VERY blue Tory! Robert Jenrick mocked after it emerges his 'Bobby J'  leadership campaign nickname (as plastered across supporters' caps) is  slang for a SEX ACT | Daily Mail Online

Only to be told a few days later what Bobby J means. Look it up Westy....

Doesn't sound very bright to me....😂

Even your hero, Grant '4 names' Schapps disputed Generic's claim. And he was a Defence Secretary!

19 hours ago, Mister M said:

What strikes me as characteristic of this leadership contest is just how base and revolting candidates feel they have to be to get the votes of the membership. That in itself tells a story, but this from Kemi Badenoch is jaw droppingly crass:

Just horrible - what a sneering and snobby thing to say.
Thing is, she couldn't do the job of being a care worker - to do that job well you need to be empathic and tactful under pressure. She seems to rejoice in being a ****

I can't stand the woman, but I'm always suspicious of context when the video clip is just 13 seconds long - I can guarantee the  entire question & reply was much longer.

and the poster is either a party activist or, like in this case a "content creator" who deliberately post stuff like this to get likes and retweets to push their "content"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I can't stand the woman, but I'm always suspicious of context when the video clip is just 13 seconds long - I can guarantee the  entire question & reply was much longer.

and the poster is either a party activist or, like in this case a "content creator" who deliberately post stuff like this to get likes and retweets to push their "content"

From 1hr16:05