Tory leadership contest 2024

On 02/10/2024 at 12:54, Prettytom said:

37% of the electorate voted for Brexit in the referendum. Not much different to Labours vote in the last GE.

I was surprised, whilst listening to Radio Four, they said that just above 20% of the population voted Labour. Not a place that get their facts wrong. I will Google if I have time.

Voter turnout across the UK as a whole was reportedly 60%  and then think about how many did not register to vote.

According to this, Labour got 33.7% of the votes - 33.7% of 60% so what is 33.7% of 100%?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/717004/general-elections-vote-share-by-party-uk/

18 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I was surprised, whilst listening to Radio Four, they said that just above 20% of the population voted Labour. Not a place that get their facts wrong. I will Google if I have time.

Voter turnout across the UK as a whole was reportedly 60%  and then think about how many did not register to vote.

According to this, Labour got 33.7% of the votes - 33.7% of 60% so what is 33.7% of 100%?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/717004/general-elections-vote-share-by-party-uk/

20.22% of the electorate voted Labour if the above figures are accurate.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I can't stand the woman, but I'm always suspicious of context when the video clip is just 13 seconds long - I can guarantee the  entire question & reply was much longer.

and the poster is either a party activist or, like in this case a "content creator" who deliberately post stuff like this to get likes and retweets to push their "content"

everything shes said is out there fella, including in plenty of none video forms, as well as that shes doubled down on maternity pay and minimum wage, shes trying to be as Conservative extreme as she can to try and drag the tories further to the right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Let's see if those on here who were so quick to join the right wing press' howls of protest at Starmer's acceptance of gifts will be just as vocal about this:

image.png.2803a762a8944d6c8a95f4a9a3d864b1.png

There is a difference between accepting donations in order to carry out election campaigns to accepting donations which have nothing to do with election campaigns.   Rosie Duffield made that point last week when she resigned from the Labour party.

2 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

There is a difference between accepting donations in order to carry out election campaigns to accepting donations which have nothing to do with election campaigns.   Rosie Duffield made that point last week when she resigned from the Labour party.

I didn't see the point by Duffield....Was that was when she was trying to justify the gifts that she received?

And as for your broader point - won't wash. 

Kemi Badenoch can accept as many gifts as she wants, as long as she registers them. Those are the rules, and as far as I'm aware those are the rules that Starmer kept within. 

If her and the other contenders for leadership have criticised Starmer for hypocrisy, then they'd better not do the same thing themselves.

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I didn't see the point by Duffield....Was that was when she was trying to justify the gifts that she received?

And as for your broader point - won't wash. 

Kemi Badenoch can accept as many gifts as she wants, as long as she registers them. Those are the rules, and as far as I'm aware those are the rules that Starmer kept within. 

If her and the other contenders for leadership have criticised Starmer for hypocrisy, then they'd better not do the same thing themselves.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a gift and a donation to run an election campaign.  Just to help you out Rosie Duffield received donations to fund running her election campaign office and didn't receive gifts of clothing, reading glasses and football hospitality or concert tickets.

7 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

You don't seem to understand the difference between a gift and a donation to run an election campaign.  Just to help you out Rosie Duffield received donations to fund running her election campaign office and didn't receive gifts of clothing, reading glasses and football hospitality or concert tickets.

You don't seem to know what you're talking about: 

Rosie Duffield accepted a £350 ticket and lunch at The Open golf tournament when it was held at Royal St George’s in Sandwich in 2021. Was that necessary to run her election campaign?

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You don't seem to know what you're talking about: 

Rosie Duffield accepted a £350 ticket and lunch at The Open golf tournament when it was held at Royal St George’s in Sandwich in 2021. Was that necessary to run her election campaign?

You're another clueless nitpicker.  Royal St George in not far away from Canterbury. I don't see anything wrong in a local MP accepting a lunch invitation to an event which would benefit the constituency they represent.  Visitors to the golf will have spent money in the Canterbury area such as hotel accommodation and shops.  

2 hours ago, High Chaparral said:

You're another clueless nitpicker.  Royal St George in not far away from Canterbury. I don't see anything wrong in a local MP accepting a lunch invitation to an event which would benefit the constituency they represent.  Visitors to the golf will have spent money in the Canterbury area such as hotel accommodation and shops.  

^^^State of that^^^

You'd no idea about the free gifts Rosie Duffield accepted; and given her criticism of Starmer, you assumed she'd taken no gift. Then you call me clueless. The chuffin' gall of you!

So what if Royal George is not far away from Canterbury? "I don't see anything wrong....blah blah blah"....

I'll tell you what Westy, just post what you will accept and what you won't. Based on what you've written before, Tory MPs (particularly those that voted Brexit, and especially if they remained loyal to Boris) get a free pass to anything and everything. No gift is to big, and no behaviour is too egregious.

Labour MPs (unless they voted Brexit, or criticise the front bench) should always be judged more harshly. 

There you are. Better already?

• Sad 1