Tory leadership contest 2024

18 hours ago, peak4 said:

From 1hr16:05

When I first heard her speak I posted that I found her ‘interesting’, this was translated by the usual Labour Left stalker to mean that I was a supporter of her. If she scares supporters of a government with such a huge majority then God help the Labour Party

47 minutes ago, crookesey said:

If she scares supporters of a government with such a huge majority then God help the Labour Party

As someone who has never voted Labour, couldn't disagree more, she would be an absolute gift for Labour in the next GE.

Has form for lying, has been caught out several times. Also has a reputation for losing her cool and getting arsey when outed.

Her claimed "successes" in office are, at best, debatable.

Clearly would be far more suited as a Reform candidate and as such, for the Tory Party she's a liability.

The only reason she's above water at this time is because the other candidates are also so staggeringly poor (IMHO).

Boris got where he is on his charm, but she just doesn't have any.

She's not that likeable and the more you know about her, the less you want to!

2 hours ago, Bamanamanana said:

As someone who has never voted Labour, couldn't disagree more, she would be an absolute gift for Labour in the next GE.

Has form for lying, has been caught out several times. Also has a reputation for losing her cool and getting arsey when outed.

Her claimed "successes" in office are, at best, debatable.

Clearly would be far more suited as a Reform candidate and as such, for the Tory Party she's a liability.

The only reason she's above water at this time is because the other candidates are also so staggeringly poor (IMHO).

Boris got where he is on his charm, but she just doesn't have any.

She's not that likeable and the more you know about her, the less you want to!

I suspect it's the Reform voter end of the Tory party to whom she's trying to appeal
LBC, but widely reported elsewhere
MP in Jeremy Corbyn's Independent Alliance blames Kemi Badenoch's 'Islamist' slur for death threat

Ayoub Khan, the MP for Birmingham Perry Barr, has told LBC that he received a death threat in the form of a threatening letter earlier this week.

Mr Khan, who was announced earlier this week as one of five members of the Independent Alliance group of MPs alongside Jeremy Corbyn, defeated longstanding Labour MP Khalid Mahmoud at July’s election.

The newly elected MP has blamed Conservative MP and leadership hopeful Kemi Badenoch for “dangerous”, “disingenuous” and “disrespectful” comments contributing to the threats he has faced.

In a leadership campaign speech on Monday Kemi Badenoch, the Shadow Business Secretary, told Conservative members “when everyone was talking about the five new MPs from Reform UK. I was far, far more worried about the five new MPs elected on the back of sectarian, Islamist politics, alien ideas that have no place here”.

Asked about those comments, Ayoub Khan told LBC “what is dangerous is the death threats I have received this week”

“She [Kemi Badenoch] should reflect on what she said, as someone who sits in parliament.

There ought to be some responsibility. Her comments fuel hatred in society.”

14 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I suspect it's the Reform voter end of the Tory party to whom she's trying to appeal
MP in Jeremy Corbyn's Independent Alliance blames Kemi Badenoch's 'Islamist' slur for death threat

Ayoub Khan, the MP for Birmingham Perry Barr, has told LBC that he received a death threat in the form of a threatening letter earlier this week.

Mr Khan, who was announced earlier this week as one of five members of the Independent Alliance group of MPs alongside Jeremy Corbyn, defeated longstanding Labour MP Khalid Mahmoud at July’s election.

The newly elected MP has blamed Conservative MP and leadership hopeful Kemi Badenoch for “dangerous”, “disingenuous” and “disrespectful” comments contributing to the threats he has faced.

In a leadership campaign speech on Monday Kemi Badenoch, the Shadow Business Secretary, told Conservative members “when everyone was talking about the five new MPs from Reform UK. I was far, far more worried about the five new MPs elected on the back of sectarian, Islamist politics, alien ideas that have no place here”.

Asked about those comments, Ayoub Khan told LBC “what is dangerous is the death threats I have received this week”

“She [Kemi Badenoch] should reflect on what she said, as someone who sits in parliament.

That she fuels hatred in society will have been noticed by plenty of people.

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the Tory strategists who were on there were really excited by the prospect of a Badenoch leadership, saying that "Starmer wouldn't know how to deal with a black woman" (not sure where that comes into it but there you go). Having said that members of the public have certainly made their mind up where Badenoch is concerned. The polling group Savanta asked the public to create a word cloud for each of the Tory candidates, and for Badenoch the word they most associated with her is 'arrogant'. The others for her were ‘dangerous’, ‘evil’, ‘nasty’ and ‘useless’. 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

That she fuels hatred in society will have been noticed by plenty of people.

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the Tory strategists who were on there were really excited by the prospect of a Badenoch leadership, saying that "Starmer wouldn't know how to deal with a black woman" (not sure where that comes into it but there you go). Having said that members of the public have certainly made their mind up where Badenoch is concerned. The polling group Savanta asked the public to create a word cloud for each of the Tory candidates, and for Badenoch the word they most associated with her is 'arrogant'. The others for her were ‘dangerous’, ‘evil’, ‘nasty’ and ‘useless’. 

I noticed her and several of the Labour ladies smiling from ear to ear and and clapping like Sea Lions following Starmer’s conference speech,  I couldn’t help but think that all of them coveted his leadership.

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

If Mr Khan is so vehemently against death threats then I would imagine he is very vocal about the teacher from Batley, who 4 years later is still in hiding after receiving many death threats from the Muslim community?

I can't seem to find anything highlighting his disgust at that, can you?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I noticed her and several of the Labour ladies smiling from ear to ear and and clapping like Sea Lions following Starmer’s conference speech,  I couldn’t help but think that all of them coveted his leadership.

They possibly do, I don't know.

Mind you, if in 2019 someone had said that Starmer would be in No10 in 5 years time, no-one would've believed you; and Boris Johnson was being spoken about as going on into the 2030s.

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

If Mr Khan is so vehemently against death threats then I would imagine he is very vocal about the teacher from Batley, who 4 years later is still in hiding after receiving many death threats from the Muslim community?

I can't seem to find anything highlighting his disgust at that, can you?

I would imagine he is yes.