Tory leadership contest 2024

44 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Why would you, he's the Mayor of London, not Batley! :loopy: 🤣

To be fair, this particular Mr Kahn is a Birmingham MP, but why he should be expected to comment on a situation in a different county is questionable.
If he is asked directly, or choses to express an opinion on something in Batley, than it's fair to  scrutinise that answer/comment.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, peak4 said:

To be fair, this particular Mr Kahn is a Birmingham MP, but why he should be expected to comment on a situation in a different county is questionable.

Whoopsy! :D

8 minutes ago, peak4 said:

If he is asked directly, or choses to express an opinion on something in Batley, than it's fair to  scrutinise that answer/comment.

Sounds like a mission for Al! 🤣

• Haha 1

Ayoub Khan MP has issued a fairly definitive statement condemning the general divisive rhetoric which seem very prevalent in public discourse these days.
Sadly I suspect it will fall on deaf ears with some of the population at large, including politicians of various parties, and members of a wide variety of forums such as this.
Ayoub Khan MP: Kemi Badenoch’s comments about ‘Islamist politics’ are dangerous and ignorant Hyphen

Language that labels and targets individuals based on their religion or background creates a hostile environment where prejudice and discrimination can flourish.

When public figures use such rhetoric, it normalises and legitimises hatred and division, making it acceptable in public discourse. 

This is a dangerous path that threatens the fabric and democracy of our society.

I am not saying Badenoch’s statement resulted in the sending of this letter or any of the other comments I have received.

But I am saying that rhetoric such as hers encourages this type of attitude.

Comments such as hers are deeply offensive not only to me and my independent colleagues, but to every voter in our constituencies that supported and voted for us.

We must confront and challenge rhetoric that seeks to divide us.

Our democracy thrives on inclusivity, mutual respect, and the understanding that our diversity is our strength.

It is imperative that we speak out against language that promotes intolerance and work together to build a society where everyone is valued and treated with dignity.

Inherent in some of this  is the demand of a single individual to comment spontaneously on a wider topic,  because of some supposed shared characteristic.

Unfortunately this poisonous atmosphere  just causes even more division and animosity in society, which many commentators seek to exploit.

MPs’ staff ‘taking the brunt’ of threats against politicians  The National Scot, but plenty of other sources

A constant tide of abuse and death threats has left MPs’ staff feeling “petrified”, a former parliamentary assistant has said.

Jade Botterill, who worked for Labour MP Yvette Cooper between 2013 and 2019, said dealing with abuse directed towards her boss had left her suffering frequent nightmares and forced her to quit politics.

She said: “I would get in and all I would do is go on Facebook and report death threats and delete them. I reckon I reported over 1,000 death threats.

“I couldn’t sleep. I would have these nightmares that I would be in the office with Yvette and someone would come up to her and kill her.”

• Like 1

Just now, cressida said:

For which the people  of Batley would be surely grateful,  London needs Khan to set about banning knife crime,  any hate crime and that it is his business to be seen to be reducing crime,  lets not give him a reason to divert from his duties 😉

14 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Ayoub Khan is not the mayor of London.

Fair cop!Whoopsy! 😿

Still... that he was someone with no connection whatsoever to the incident in question, and doesn't live anywhere near... spot on! 🙄

Can you clarify why you think he should make any statement at all on the incident you highlight?