Rwanda scheme to be scrapped straight away, what now for UK

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The scheme was never started , so you can't make  out that the deterrent effect was zero . 

They'd have delayed the election if they thought it had any deterrent effect. Rwanda was only ever a stunt designed to try and attract back those who'd switched to Reform.

Just now, BigPP said:

They'd have delayed the election if they thought it had any deterrent effect. Rwanda was only ever a stunt designed to try and attract back those who'd switched to Reform.

I never said different . 

16 minutes ago, BigPP said:

Just like Boris' promise to provide "safe and legal routes for asylum while disrupting the business model of the gangs".

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-speech-on-action-to-tackle-illegal-migration-14-april-2022

16 minutes ago, geared said:

5% of Amazon's employees in the Coventary warehouse are British, with a large segment recently coming from South Asia.

So who are they?  Surely the UK is not giving out visas for people to come here and work in Amazon warehouses?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8vd72zrpr1o

Your assuming that those from overseas are only able to work on the back of a work specific visa.

Their overseas workers may be here in a different visa which allows them to work with no restrictions on the level of job required 

19 hours ago, Delayed said:

Your assuming that those from overseas are only able to work on the back of a work specific visa.

Their overseas workers may be here in a different visa which allows them to work with no restrictions on the level of job required 

Yes student visa allows (limited) working, I don't think there's a restriction on the type of job.  I imagine a family visa is the same?

Still though, 95% of the workforce.  That's huge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geared said:

Yes student visa allows (limited) working, I don't think there's a restriction on the type of job.  I imagine a family visa is the same?

Still though, 95% of the workforce.  That's huge

I think it’s very high at the Sports Direct warehouse in Shirebrook 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

I think it’s very high at the Sports Direct warehouse in Shirebrook 

I think this could be a Europe wide thing, not just a UK thing. I worked in logistics in the Netherlands for years before I retired, and my employers 3PL provider always had a very high number of immigrants working in the warehouse. Pickers and packers were often Polish, Russian, Albanian, Portuguese etc we even had a Peruvian. People who were locally born were few and far between and were almost exclusively in the supervisory positions. 

we said it was a gimmick and a sham from the start, one thing the tories never told us, or parliament is that they were planning on spending 10 billion pounds on it, criminal

• Sad 1

Apparently there have been over 120,000 people stuck in the asylum system for a number of years. 

Under the previous government they were in hotels, but they were not being processed or deported and it was costing a fortune - £billions.

Prior to the election the now government said that they wanted to clear the system and get people processed - either given asylum if they have legal qualification for it, or deported if they don't.

The previous government have said that this is tantamount to an amnesty - which is a load of nonsense.