Are pavements now for car parking?

On 06/07/2024 at 20:46, Planner1 said:

It isn’t that straightforward.

Parking Services can only enforce if there is a restriction in place which applies to the footway, like a single or double yellow line.

If there is no such restriction, only the police can enforce. They usually apply the double buggy test, ie if someone could get a double buggy past the vehicle without going on the road, it’s not obstruction. 

That's kind of what my situation is.

I had part of the grass  verge taken up and tarmac the area as an entrance to my driveway.

This had to go through Council planning and I had to use there contractor to do the work so was not cheap.

I park on that tarmac area which keeps my car off the road and leaves more than enough space to push a double buggy through.

I do not drive into my front garden (carport) because it is very small and just drive in at night to park it up

Southey Crescent, between Southey Close and Raisen Hall Place is a nightmare for anyone with a pram or in a mobility device. Usually on both sides, and a couple of cretins regularly park right up to the privet with their driver's door adjacent to their front gate. 

Two hundred yards away, on Southey Avenue where there's no housing, there's parking for at least a dozen cars that's never used. 

Bone idle, lazy self-entitled gits

• Like 1

while not technically illegal, it is in the highway code, that it's illegal to drive on the pavement - and parking on the pavement often requires driving on it, so either record them parking up, or setting off (so you have evidence of them 'driving on the pavement') then report them for that, instead of parking...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Never understood why the council don't pursue them more - its easy money.

They have to be making a contravention that the council can actually enforce. 

If there are no yellow lines, there’s nothing the council can enforce, so, looking at the photos in the posts above, there’s nothing the council can do about the ones on the residential street, they would need police enforcement. 

The ones outside the scrap yard are contravening a  yellow line so could be enforced by the council ( who did enforce those restrictions regularly when I was there) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

while not technically illegal, it is in the highway code, that it's illegal to drive on the pavement - and parking on the pavement often requires driving on it, so either record them parking up, or setting off (so you have evidence of them 'driving on the pavement') then report them for that, instead of parking...

In the Southey acres photo, the ones on the left are probably obstructing the footway so could be prosecuted by the police. If you can’t get a double buggy past them on the footway, the police will usually ticket them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Trouble is it becomes a matter of legal technicality rather than common sense, when you get 2hats parking like this they need more than a fine.

IMG_20240402_122309.thumb.jpg.706bd7633da077e66c4e2b2d35343805.jpg

So. anyone trying navigate round that , runs the risk of been run over in the road . Very good , NOT 

• Like 1