Are pavements now for car parking?

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

A big bugbear of mine . Some people even do it when there is no need.

This is what gets me.  Fair enough if it’s a narrow road and cars are partly parked on the pavement but more and more selfish, entitled slobs park fully on the pavement when it isn’t necessary.  Then there’s the ones that churn up grass verges unnecessarily.  And the ones that are too lazy to use a proper parking space in a car park and go directly in front of the shop instead causing an obstruction.  And the ones that park across two spaces.  Or park in the disabled spaces but aren’t disabled.  Lazy, entitled and selfish.  Nothing will stop them unless they’re hit in the wallet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redruby said:

This is what gets me.  Fair enough if it’s a narrow road and cars are partly parked on the pavement but more and more selfish, entitled slobs park fully on the pavement when it isn’t necessary.  Then there’s the ones that churn up grass verges unnecessarily.  And the ones that are too lazy to use a proper parking space in a car park and go directly in front of the shop instead causing an obstruction.  And the ones that park across two spaces.  Or park in the disabled spaces but aren’t disabled.  Lazy, entitled and selfish.  Nothing will stop them unless they’re hit in the wallet.

IMO Fines don't work either.

Take the Wicker as an example. Police/Parking services did a once-in-a-blue-moon enforcement, fined loads for illegal/obstructive parking.  Area had 2 days of compliance then it was back to business as usual, by the same people. 

With the Wicker it's mostly taxis/takeaway drivers so the way to hit them is to inconvience them greatly. Seize the vehicles and impound them for a number of days (insert P1 stating they can't do that, legislation changes needed etc).

Another option is to recriminalise parking and introduce penalty points, eventually the selfish parkers will end up totting up and end up with licence lost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, butlers said:

Ring parking services

0114 2734567, they are pretty good in my experience and came out 3 times out of 4 to slap tickets on my nuisance parkers.

One dipstick parked his work van across our factory gates.

It isn’t that straightforward.

Parking Services can only enforce if there is a restriction in place which applies to the footway, like a single or double yellow line.

If there is no such restriction, only the police can enforce. They usually apply the double buggy test, ie if someone could get a double buggy past the vehicle without going on the road, it’s not obstruction. 

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

just noticed this more than ever , road after road cars parked fully on the pavements? its about time this was sorted, parking on street corners blocking viewing ect. no one cares, take blackstock road cars just parked fully on pavements inc those with front drives, no one cares theres no rules enforced , is this the way society today is going?

It'd been going on for at least 40 years.

26 minutes ago, Longcol said:

It'd been going on for at least 40 years.

Geoff from Lowedges has only just told him about it though

30 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Take a photo and upload it to the NExtbase National Dash Cam Safety Portal here: https://nextbase.co.uk/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

I believe South Yorkshire Police are now dealing with such reports through Nextbase since closing their own reporting portal.

My bold.

Ive some experience recently of using the portal. It's very good. Easy, simple steps and not many steps to be fair. I hope helps tackle the problem 👍

• Like 2