Stones, Wards, Whitbread - all good bitters now gone

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Is that just memory playing tricks on you after all these years though?

They insist it is as close as possible to the original:

“We want to do it right so we’re going all out to make sure the recipe is as close as it was back in the bitter’s glory days. We’ll be using a traditional cask recipe with Challenger and Goldings hops and the original Stones yeast strain, kindly given to us by Molson Coors. We’re even going as far as recreating the water profile that was used at the time.

I tried it and it seemed the same — although to be fair I was never a big fan or drinker of it in the past so I’m not an expert.

My bold. 

So their doing their best but it's never going to be the same. 

And as for 'recreating the water profile'?  I guess that means adding additional chemicals.  Maybe that's what created the iffy taste of the pint I had a few months ago.  People messing about with water, you couldn't make it up. 

Shame we don't have the German's purity laws when it comes to brewing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

So their doing their best but it's never going to be the same. 

And as for 'recreating the water profile'?  I guess that means adding additional chemicals.  Maybe that's what created the iffy taste of the pint I had a few months ago.  People messing about with water, you couldn't make it up. 

I'm fairly certain they use chromatography to get the water profile, two immediate problems I see with that, first you need a sample of the original water source, which isn't always available and the second is you need to know what you're looking for and set the chromatogram, I hope that's the right word, up to find a range of stuff expected.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Is that just memory playing tricks on you after all these years though?

They insist it is as close as possible to the original:

“We want to do it right so we’re going all out to make sure the recipe is as close as it was back in the bitter’s glory days. We’ll be using a traditional cask recipe with Challenger and Goldings hops and the original Stones yeast strain, kindly given to us by Molson Coors. We’re even going as far as recreating the water profile that was used at the time.”

I tried it and it seemed the same — although to be fair I was never a big fan or drinker of it in the past so I’m not an expert.

No, definitely not my memory. The original had more body, more flavour and a head that lasted down the glass.

9 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

I drunk all of these 30 years ago, but can honestly say that I don't miss any of them. I'm more of an IPA style and sours guy these days with the odd stout when it's colder so times and taste change. I don't really want to be taken back to the old estate pubs I grew up in and The Stone House. I much prefer a micro-pub which has different beers on everytime I visit. 

Yes true we all change with time👍

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Stones, Wards, Whitbread - all good bitters now gone
2 hours ago, Uggy said:

I'm fairly certain they use chromatography to get the water profile, two immediate problems I see with that, first you need a sample of the original water source, which isn't always available and the second is you need to know what you're looking for and set the chromatogram, I hope that's the right word, up to find a range of stuff expected.

My bold. 

1960's River Don.  Rat pee & rusting shopping trollies 😂

• Haha 2

loved my pint of stones best bitter in the yew tree years ago, but also enjoyed a good pint of wards in the victoria or roundhouse as known with big brian in charge who loved the beer himself, but the bridge inn was great at heeley bottom as well , now its john smiths smooth  or timothly taylors best beer, times change and people adapt to the new tastes , but the old pub has changed ,now its food and a pint or fri,sat eve pints .

11 minutes ago, bassett one said:

loved my pint of stones best bitter in the yew tree years ago, but also enjoyed a good pint of wards in the victoria or roundhouse as known with big brian in charge who loved the beer himself, but the bridge inn was great at heeley bottom as well , now its john smiths smooth  or timothly taylors best beer, times change and people adapt to the new tastes , but the old pub has changed ,now its food and a pint or fri,sat eve pints .

You know where to get the best beer in Sheffield Mr. Bassett.

Plenty of choice, all at competitive prices..

Our friendly barmaid is always available for your nibbles...

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Many would say that beers from Czech Republic, Belgium, France etc. benefit from the absence of German purity laws in their styles, flavours, ingredient and presentation.

In the 1970s South Yorkshire was polled as being the third worst area in the UK for beer behind Scotland and the north east, for the range and types of beers available (cannot remember the source). All three areas were dominated by a few industrial beer companies.

My preference was Tetley( Leeds or Manchester).