Stones, Wards, Whitbread - all good bitters now gone

19 hours ago, Martin C said:

I drank a lot of Wards in the early 80s and loved it. Time moves on though and I'd absolutely hate it now as I crave hops, hops and more hops. And that's American, Australian and New Zealand hops - not crappy Kentish/European varieties

So you prefer pints of fizz now then ? 

12 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

So you prefer pints of fizz now then ? 

Can't beat a good US/Aus/NZ hopped cask IPA but I do drink and enjoy "craft keg" (or cans) as well.

40 minutes ago, Stannington Lad said:

At one time of the day, about the only place you could get different beers in Sheffield was at The Fat Cat. The Commercial Hotel at Chapletown used to stock Bateman's XXXB too. That was quite a nifty pint 

The Fat Cat was the real pioneer in the drive for decent beer in this fine city. Still a tremendous place for a booze. 

• Like 5

On 08/07/2024 at 10:51, Padders said:

You know where to get the best beer in Sheffield Mr. Bassett.

Plenty of choice, all at competitive prices..

Our friendly barmaid is always available for your nibbles...

yes my burger/onion and fries , but if you are on about the buxom young lady behind your bar well no good saying to much on here about me please,please  ,i was drunk honest ,before the man in blue took me off for the night , i plead not guilty honest

• Haha 1

On 08/07/2024 at 20:35, Stannington Lad said:

At one time of the day, about the only place you could get different beers in Sheffield was at The Fat Cat. The Commercial Hotel at Chapletown used to stock Bateman's XXXB too. That was quite a nifty pint 

Museum in the city centre had  4 different real ales on at about the same time - Batemans, Castle Eden, Marstons Pedigree and one other I can't remember.

I’m amazed that people are feeling nostalgic for Stones or Wards bitter.  Dusclamer here, I’ve drunk considerably more than my fair share of Wards.

Brewing in this city has come on leaps and bounds in the last twenty years . Triplepoint, Bradfield and Abbeydale all make excellent beers, to suit all tastes. Enjoy those and leave Stones and Wards where they belong, in the past.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m amazed that people are feeling nostalgic for Stones or Wards bitter.  Dusclamer here, I’ve drunk considerably more than my fair share of Wards.

Brewing in this city has come on leaps and bounds in the last twenty years . Triplepoint, Bradfield and Abbeydale all make excellent beers, to suit all tastes. Enjoy those and leave Stones and Wards where they belong, in the past.

Agreed. Away and begone with the same old same old. Thankfully so many pubs in Sheffield acknowledge that today's ale drinkers want variation away from the old school. I love that when I walk in to the Sheffield Tap , Sheaf View or the Kelham Island tavern I recognise nothing. All new stuff to try. Keep up the good work fellas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Call thi sen a proper Sheffielder Stoooonses kept out steelworks going through good and bad times .  Int furnaces the gaffers would send out for trays of it when we were on hot work . Shuv tho triplepoint where Sun don't shine .   Surry

• Like 3