Stones, Wards, Whitbread - all good bitters now gone

Abbeydale Brewery have just released a new version of their limited edition 'Swifty' beer.

They produced it last year using Grains of Paradise and in partnership with Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust (10p of each pint goes to the Trust) and it was delicious!

This year's version is limited edition too and this time uses Fonio grains - it is beautiful.

Look out for it on selected bars across the region (ask your landlord to get it in whilst they can).

Abbeydale-SwiftyFonio24-Cask-WEBSOCIAL.jpg

There's also a small amount of mini kegs available direct from the brewery here: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/product/swifty-4-2/

• Like 2

More on Swifty here:

Introducing the 2024 edition of Swifty! In continuation of our partnership with Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust (more on that here), we’ve brought back this much requested pale ale, but this time with an extra special new twist!

In recognition of the amazing migratory journey that swifts make from Africa to the UK to breed every year, we’ve combined UK grown hops Fuggles with Fonio, an ancient grain grown in Africa.

Fonio is a naturally sustainable crop – it’s capable of growing in poor soil, and its roots even help add nutrients back into the ground, contributing to soil regeneration. It’s easy to grow, requiring no irrigation or pesticides, and drought resistant too, so it really helps to support the ethos of the Wildlife Trust and was the perfect choice to add to this beer. It’s also typically grown by smallholder farms in West Africa, so supports local industry and communities there too. Our brewer Thom who was in charge of creating this year’s version of Swifty also described it as “a dream!” to brew with.

…and as well as all that, it also tastes great too! The Fonio itself gives a lovely light, clean crispness to the beer alongside delicate hints of aromatic lychee and melon, which work beautifully with the gentle spicy hedgerow notes and lingering bitter finish from the hops. A unique and easy drinking pale ale that’s a perfect partner for perusing the new Sheffield Swift City Map!

The cold wet spring has made things particularly difficult for the swift population this year, so it seems even more important to be able to raise awareness and support for these beautiful birds, who we do hope you’ve still noticed gracing the skies with their aerial acrobatics in recent weeks.

The beer is available in cask only (we believe it to be only the second beer made using Fonio to be released in cask in the world!), so be sure to look out for it on the bar of your local pub. 10p from every pint sold will be donated to Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust to help support nature’s recovery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Abbeydale Brewery have just released a new version of their limited edition 'Swifty' beer.

They produced it last year using Grains of Paradise and in partnership with Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust (10p of each pint goes to the Trust) and it was delicious!

This year's version is limited edition too and this time uses Fonio grains - it is beautiful.

Look out for it on selected bars across the region (ask your landlord to get it in whilst they can).

Abbeydale-SwiftyFonio24-Cask-WEBSOCIAL.jpg

There's also a small amount of mini kegs available direct from the brewery here: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/product/swifty-4-2/

I'm a big fan of Taylor Swift... might have to nip t' Rising Sun for a gargle of this...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

I'm a big fan of Taylor Swift... might have to nip t' Rising Sun for a gargle of this...

We're all Swift aren't we....?

That the Rising Sun at Fulwood? Not been there for a few years.

21 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

That's the one. The Rising Sun at Fulwood is the tap for Abbeydale.

Me and the more sensible half (and daughter) went there a few years back on a whim. Quite unexpectedly they were running a dog show outside. A lot of fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It may come as a surprise that there are 2 types of Stooooonses beer available in Sheffied pubs, and possibly elsewhere...a good tasting Stones, and a poor tasting Stones. 

The good tasting Stones: 3.7 ABv. This one is golden and refreshing, and has the tangy taste of the Stones of yesterday/year. This Stones is also sold in supermarkets and at the Beer shop on Archer Road. Unfortunately, Stones is only sold in tinnies, I prefer drinking from bottles, so at home I'll continue drinking Newcastle Brown. I believe 3.7 Stones is brewed in Tadcaster, the tinnies at Burton upon Trent.  

Places I've supped the 3.7 Stones in the last cuppla years...

Centre Spot - Base Green

Hollin Bush - Hollinsend/Intake

Noah's Ark - Crookes

Hammer & Pincers - Bents Green

Sportsman - Hackenthorpe

Carlton Club - Gleadless Townend

The Byron - Nether Edge

Miners Arms - Hundall, situated atween Unstone and Apperknowle

Laycock's Social Club - Archer Road.        

The poor tasting Stones: 4.1 ABV. A bland beer at best. This beer is brewed by True North Brew Limited, the boss being Kane Yeardley.

As far as I know True North Brew Ltd doesn't exist anymore, at least not in name. It seems the company went through financial difficulties...during the Covid times. True North Brew was then renamed to ...Cocktails and Craft Beers. The persons running this new company being Sean Kelly and Alexander Liddle, with Kane Yeardley being the third person.

I believe they still sell the abysmal 4.1 ABV beer in their pubs...food and drink is expensive. One of their pub's is The Broadfield. I remember paying 12 new pence in the Broady forra pint in the early 70s lol.

I just don't know how they get away using the Stones badge on their beer pumps.

I'd love to have the electric (keg) Stones again, but I don't think that would ever happen, because proper sized glasses would have to be re-introduced to allow for a proper head on the beer. The pint glasses of today are 1 pint LIQUID measures. If you have a head on your beer these days, you have been served an under measure.

some bits:

Magnet... Iv'e supped this in recent times at:

Noah's Ark in Intake

New Inn at bottom of Gleadless Common.

I was told Magnet is brewed in the Wakefield Area.

Please check the Stones badge at the beer pump...3.7 is the good Stones

If the Stones, or your favourite beer has been taken off in your pub, don't go off in a huff. Just politely ask management or bar staff for the reason why its been taken off. Educate yourself.

Thank you Magneteer for your imput. Iv'e read your posts before on the subject of beer. You seem to know your stuff.

stoonses.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zakes said:

It may come as a surprise that there are 2 types of Stooooonses beer available in Sheffied pubs, and possibly elsewhere...a good tasting Stones, and a poor tasting Stones. 

The good tasting Stones: 3.7 ABv. This one is golden and refreshing, and has the tangy taste of the Stones of yesterday/year. This Stones is also sold in supermarkets and at the Beer shop on Archer Road. Unfortunately, Stones is only sold in tinnies, I prefer drinking from bottles, so at home I'll continue drinking Newcastle Brown. I believe 3.7 Stones is brewed in Tadcaster, the tinnies at Burton upon Trent.  

Centre Spot - Base Green

Noah's Ark - Crookes

Sportsman - Hackenthorpe

The Byron - Nether Edge

The poor tasting Stones: 4.1 ABV. A bland beer at best. This beer is brewed by True North Brew Limited, the boss being Kane Yeardley.

As far as I know True North Brew Ltd doesn't exist anymore, at least not in name. It seems the company went through financial difficulties...during the Covid times. True North Brew was then renamed to ...Cocktails and Craft Beers. The persons running this new company being Sean Kelly and Alexander Liddle, with Kane Yeardley being the third person.

I believe they still sell the abysmal 4.1 ABV beer in their pubs...food and drink is expensive. One of their pub's is The Broadfield. I remember paying 12 new pence in the Broady forra pint in the early 70s lol.

I'd love to have the electric (keg) Stones again, but I don't think that would ever happen, because proper sized glasses would have to be re-introduced to allow for a proper head on the beer. The pint glasses of today are 1 pint LIQUID measures. If you have a head on your beer these days, you have been served an under measure.

some bits:

Noah's Ark in Intake

If the Stones, or your favourite beer has been taken off in your pub, don't go off in a huff. Just politely ask management or bar staff for the reason why its been taken off. Educate yourself.

Thank you Magneteer for your imput. Iv'e read your posts before on the subject of beer. You seem to know your stuff.

stoonses.jpg

Stones on sale at Riverside pub near Neepsend Lane , Its spot on . 

15 hours ago, zakes said:

Centre Spot - Base Green

Noah's Ark - Crookes

Sportsman - Hackenthorpe

The Byron - Nether Edge

some bits:

Noah's Ark in Intake

stoonses.jpg

Nice to hear from you  . Keep smiling :thumbsup: