Racially diverse cast to play Anglo-Saxons in BBC drama

Just now, redruby said:

I get your point but by that measure we would have, say middle aged or older playing children and teenagers wouldn’t we?  I’m sure it has been done but it isn’t the norm and people would find it odd generally and the drama less credible.

But we often do, in US programs you'll often get small adults playing children of the main characters, this ends up looking really weird if the series is a success and goes on for several years with the kids never getting taller.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Uggy said:

I try not to watch the BBC anyway, the Turkish detective is excellent, no idea where the actors are from

I'm  binge watching it at the moment really good, Kevork Malikyan is the only actor I recognised, he's been a great actor  done so many  roles in both film and television over the decades.

Edited by Beechwood_S6

13 hours ago, redruby said:

What would happen if an historical drama about African people had white people playing black Africans?  I have a feeling it would be considered offensive.  But maybe I am wrong?

I'd love to see The Battle of Rourke's Drift with the Zulus played by white actors, what an uproar that would cause.

4 minutes ago, vmam said:

I'd love to see The Battle of Rourke's Drift with the Zulus played by white actors, what an uproar that would cause.

Remember The Black and White minstrels show on TV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vmam said:

I wonder if it would, my favorite film of all time is the magnificent seven, but there's been quite a few remakes but no one seems to think that it should be made only using seven samurai.

Be interesting to find out, allegorical too, Rourkes drift defended by Zulu's being attacked by hordes of the British red Coates.

2 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Remember The Black and White minstrels show on TV.

,#metoo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Love Thy Neighbour.

Weird in it, the likes of love thy neighbour and till death us do part, either wouldn't get on TV now or would be heavily censored, but while they were comedies the whole point of it was to illustrate the nonsensical bigotry surrounding race and sectarianism.

Edited by Guest
Changed is to us