Racially diverse cast to play Anglo-Saxons in BBC drama

17 hours ago, Norbert said:

Indeed, there was another thread on here about a play in London concerning race, that was having a black only showing, it triggered lots of uptighty-rightys who had no intention of seeing the play anyway, enough material for a conference...

By triggered do you mean discussed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uggy said:

Weird in it, the likes of love thy neighbour and till death us do part, either wouldn't get on TV now or would be heavily censored, but while they were comedies the whole point of it was to illustrate the nonsensical bigotry surrounding race and sectarianism.

To Death Us Do Part regularly gets repeated on one of the oldies Freeview channels.

Lots of people, who the Alf Garnett character was meant to ridicule, didn't get the joke and thought of him as some sort of hero.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, altus said:

To Death Us Do Part regularly gets repeated on one of the oldies Freeview channels.

Lots of people, who the Alf Garnett character was meant to ridicule, didn't get the joke and thought of him as some sort of hero.

I didn't know it was on the free view channels but yep you're right too many didn't get the joke.

10 hours ago, Uggy said:

But we often do, in US programs you'll often get small adults playing children of the main characters, this ends up looking really weird if the series is a success and goes on for several years with the kids never getting taller.

I was thinking more about obviously older people playing children.  I haven’t seen anyone with a lot of wrinkles playing a child 😂 As I said before I’m sure it has been done occasionally but we’d normally expect a child to look like a child even if they aren’t one.

12 hours ago, redruby said:

See my previous post about this.  There is some archeological evidence to show there were some black people in England in historical times.  
But it’s I think it’s pushing it to say they were commonplace. 
Even now ‘82% of people in England and Wales are white, and 18% belong to a black, Asian, mixed or other ethnic group (2021 Census data).’ https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/#:~:text=Government data about the UK's,a variety of ethnic backgrounds.  
I think it’s fine to represent but not over represent.

nobody said they were commonplace, nor does the article in the op so ALL, it says some, there was "some" black and asian folk around, i think a lot of history has been whitewashed, similarly its funny when we see films and pictures related to Jesus and the bible and they are all Caucasians generally, and the disciples all have nice sounding English names.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, melthebell said:

nobody said they were commonplace, nor does the article in the op so ALL, it says some, there was "some" black and asian folk around, i think a lot of history has been whitewashed, similarly its funny when we see films and pictures related to Jesus and the bible and they are all Caucasians generally, and the disciples all have nice sounding English names.

I think written communications like this sometimes get misinterpreted in way they wouldn’t face to face.  If we were having this conversation face I  think you’d have understood I wasn’t saying anything about history being rewritten or the other points you’ve made here.  Others may have, but I have not. 
I’m actually quite interested in history and human migration in the past and linked some articles about the history of this subject.  It’s really interesting to learn about black people in England through history. 
However, to be realistic, there was only a tiny minority of black people in England in Anglo Saxon times.  If there’s more than tiny minority of black actors in this drama I would say they are over represented.  

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

By triggered do you mean discussed?

no he means right wing cry babies crying that theres far too many "darkies" being cast in things