Where can you buy XMAS food and drinks such as Eggnog and Panettone?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Slick Rick said:

In the last month I learnt about Pandoro another Italian cake and Stollen a German cake both for Xmas. Have any of you tried these? Thoughts?

We have a type of Stollen here in the Netherlands   - kerststollen at Christmas and a Paas stol at Easter. A bit like raisin bread with a huge chunk of marzipan inside it, and it has a light dusting of icing sugar. I quite like it because I adore marzipan but I have to say that wife ever I put it out as part of a help yourself buffet it always hangs fire. Hardly anyone takes it. Another downside is that it’s very fattening!

Regarding the eggnog, I have made this at home using a Jamie Oliver recipe which I found online. It didn’t have enough oomph and I had to add loads more rum than the recipe called for. I would say it was OK as a one off Christmas thing, a bit of tradition and all that, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother with it. It’s not exactly wow.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2024 at 10:11, Slighty batty said:

We have a type of Stollen here in the Netherlands   - kerststollen at Christmas and a Paas stol at Easter. A bit like raisin bread with a huge chunk of marzipan inside it, and it has a light dusting of icing sugar. I quite like it because I adore marzipan but I have to say that wife ever I put it out as part of a help yourself buffet it always hangs fire. Hardly anyone takes it. Another downside is that it’s very fattening!

Regarding the eggnog, I have made this at home using a Jamie Oliver recipe which I found online. It didn’t have enough oomph and I had to add loads more rum than the recipe called for. I would say it was OK as a one off Christmas thing, a bit of tradition and all that, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother with it. It’s not exactly wow.

Is Kerststollen a type of fruitcake? Stollen is a German fruitcake.

On 09/07/2024 at 03:46, Slick Rick said:

Eggnog is a British creation. I saw it first in Xmas movies.

Panettone is an Italian creation.

I wanna dip Panettone in Eggnog.

What other treats are there?

Thx to all that chime in 😀

Be in supermarkets any time now !

• Like 1