City Centre Wickes Store to Close in August

The Wickes branch on Moore Street in Sheffield is set to close permanently on August 16, marking the end of its 30-year presence in the city. The closure comes amid broader economic challenges and the recent implementation of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone (CAZ).

Business Impact of the Clean Air Zone

The Clean Air Zone, introduced in February 2023, has been cited by staff as a factor affecting business. A staff member at Wickes told The Star, “To be honest, when the Clean Air Zone started, business dropped like a stone. We’re sat right in the middle of it, and white van traders don’t want to pay £10 a visit. It’s been very difficult to keep it going.”

The CAZ charges older diesel vans and taxis £10 per day to travel within the inner ring road, while older coaches, buses, and lorries are charged £50. The initiative aims to reduce nitrogen dioxide levels and encourage the use of greener vehicles.

Broader Business Impact

Wickes is not the only business affected. Motorcycle dealers Via Moto and SMC have also announced their relocation from the city centre. Via Moto owner Matthew Gilder explained that the CAZ charges for deliveries and additional costs from rising interest rates and energy bills were significant factors in their decision.

Council's Position on the Clean Air Zone

Sheffield City Council was mandated by the government to implement the CAZ as part of efforts to reduce air pollution, which contributes to around one in 20 deaths in the city each year. Since the CAZ was launched, the council reports a two-thirds reduction in the number of the most polluting vehicles within the zone.

To support those affected by the new regulations, the council introduced a ‘Financial Assistance Scheme’ to help owners of older vehicles upgrade to cleaner options.

Posted (edited)

I bet the parking enforcement company will still continue to operate on the now dis-used car park though.

The site is ripe for being flattened and getting a couple of high-rise apartment buildings plonked on it.

Edited by geared
  • Like 1

Doubt that it's the whole story - it very rarely is when businesses cite CAZ (or similar in other cities).  It might be a contributing factor and the straw that brakes the camel's back, but very rarely the primary reason. It probably has impacted a business like Wickes more than most, mind.

Worth bearing in mind though, as always, many vehicles - even LGVs - are exempt, if their engine is modern enough. It's a fallacy from the staff to suggest all vehicles pay the charge.

A city centre site is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the convenience for trades and public alike to be able to access building supplies close to high-density housing in the city centre, Ecclesall Road etc; on the other side, it's the worst place for lorries, white vans, etc to be having to drive to, and it's poor economic use of a valuable site.

This site will be of huge interest to developers, probably looking to build housing, or the Council or owners or The Moor may be interested in acquiring the site, either also for housing or some other scheme of a different use.

It doesn't stop at the city centre site for Wickes either; their Rutland Road site is also in a prime location for the ever-expanding gentrification of Kelham Island/Neepsend, in fact those recent masterplans showed housing on the site. Expect that to close 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Do many tradies use Wickes in the first place?  

Aren't they far more likely to frequent a builders merchant, Electrical/plumbers wholesaler or places like Toolstation/Screwfix?

Moor store was never massive, and there's some other branches not too far away.

Edited by geared
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Doubt that it's the whole story - it very rarely is when businesses cite CAZ (or similar in other cities).  It might be a contributing factor and the straw that brakes the camel's back, but very rarely the primary reason. It probably has impacted a business like Wickes more than most, mind.

There were two reasons in the OP... and it didn't say that was the primary reason.

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

The closure comes amid broader economic challenges and the recent implementation of CAZ.

I would argue there are at least three reasons... economic challenges would be my guess for second, and CAZ maybe third or later. 

My understanding is that Wickes was (or maybe still is) a family company. I remember going there last time and thinking it's far better to go to B and Q. Wickes (the moor) was quite limited with stock and choice. My own opinion only, is that Wickes has had its day for this type of location, and no longer can compete with out of town bigger stores like BQ and a couple of other big chains mention in the post before. I seem to recall that the Rutland Road one was good, but the Moor one wasn't. 

Also, this plot of land now, whether owned by Wickes or someone else is likely to be worth far more than what this place makes. It's a prime location for student flats, and if you see how much rent these people are charging the students, you'd know why. My Beijing friend rented in what was Stokes Tiles and was paying £900 a month. 

Maybe if at a push, I would say CAZ is the last nail in the coffin. The argument that going to the Rutland Road store to avoid CAZ doesn't hold up, unless someone is coming from the north of the city, as the ring road is included in CAZ. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

It doesn't stop at the city centre site for Wickes either; their Rutland Road site is also in a prime location for the ever-expanding gentrification of Kelham Island/Neepsend, in fact those recent masterplans showed housing on the site. Expect that to close 

Yeah, I agree, I think it's ok for now. There is still plenty of land up for grabs, but that land value will be increasing as long as people are buying property there. If I owned that Wickes and it was making money, I would hold on until land space was just about run out, and by then it will be extremely valuable land, especially because much of it is riverside. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

There were two reasons in the OP... and it didn't say that was the primary reason.

I was referring to comments made by the staff reported in The Star - they very much seem to be suggesting it as the primary and overriding reason for closure.

Completely agree with you though, Ash. Multitude reasons likely for this closing, of which CAZ is just one, but frustratingly usually one which is made to look more impactful than it actually is by the media.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I was referring to comments made by the staff reported in The Star

I don't read it anymore. 

I can't read the actual paper as I live in Asia now, but their website is completely unreadable, so I don't use that either! haha