City Centre Wickes Store to Close in August

2 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

That's great...but a lot of us tradesmen can't afford a van that's only 8 years old.

And electric cars are for the most well off in society,  it’s the folk with the old bangers who are penalised ,  They do not stop jet flights throughout the World or ration people flying on holidays . It’s all about who can afford it .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

That's great...but a lot of us tradesmen can't afford a van that's only 8 years old.

For the prices most tradesmen charge they should comfortably be able to afford a vehicle less than 8 years old.  

Its a works van not a Ferrari. They are not that expensive. 

Regardless, I'm not buying this oversimplistic explanation by the staff. They're just looking for someone to blame.  I simply do not believe that professional tradesmen are regularly buying supplies by calling into their local wickes on a daily basis. Most of them will have accounts with other suppliers, trade warehouses, dedicated builders merchants or online facilities like screwfix. 

In my opinion, places like Wickes and b&q are for the home DIYers or occasional bits.  So I really don't believe that the congestion charge is the primary reason for the closure as it doesn't currently apply to private cars anyway.   Far more likely to be just another victim of the slowdown of bricks and mortar retail, internet shoppers and over saturation.  You can buy basic DIY in  supermarkets these days. The pound shops are full of it as are other competitors such as b&m etc.

Also, the brand already have another store on the fringe of the city centre not far away. It's hardly a great surprise they don't feel they need two. 

The Moorfoot store was built in the 1980s and the world has moved on a lot since.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

For the prices most tradesmen charge they should comfortably be able to afford a vehicle less than 8 years old.  

Regardless, I'm not buying this oversimplistic explanation by the staff. They're just looking for someone to blame.  I simply do not believe that professional tradesmen are regularly buying supplies by calling into their local wickes on a daily basis. Most of them will have accounts with other suppliers, trade warehouses, dedicated builders merchants or online facilities like screwfix. 

In my opinion, places like Wickes and b&q are for the home DIYers or occasional bits.  So I really don't believe that the congestion charge is the primary reason for the closure as it doesn't currently apply to private cars anyway.   Far more likely to be just another victim of the slowdown of bricks and mortar retail, internet shoppers and over saturation.  You can buy basic DIY in  supermarkets these days. The pound shops are full of it as are other competitors such as b&m etc.

Also, the brand already have another store on the fringe of the city centre not far away. It's hardly a great surprise they don't feel they need two. 

The Moorfoot store was built in the 1980s and the world has moved on a lot since.

I don't think that Wickes was ever made for the foot person or on the bus because the front doors have never been open onto Moorfoot. You have to hike right round 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ah that old chestnut! Of course what most tradesman charge they end up taking home 🙄

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I know a good few sole tradesman that refuse to work in the centre because their vans don't comply, some tradesman will be on an hourly rate sub contracting to another company so won't be earning a fortune, also many won't get the full benefits of a trade account as they don't buy enough to get the bigger discounts, you need to understand construction a little more before you make sweeping statements.

• Like 2

I mentioned on this forum a while ago that Kelham Island was a jewel in the Sheffield crown, a place with history, heritage and a hub of fantastic independent businesses, I said it should be cherished and nurtured, the council will kill it stone dead.

11 hours ago, Top4719 said:

I mentioned on this forum a while ago that Kelham Island was a jewel in the Sheffield crown, a place with history, heritage and a hub of fantastic independent businesses, I said it should be cherished and nurtured, the council will kill it stone dead.

What makes you think that? And what is it you think the council are doing or not doing that will “kill” it?