City Centre Wickes Store to Close in August

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Who goes to Wickes on public transport? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Aye dead easy to drag a few 20kg bags of sand onto the number 120.

I've used Wickes plenty of times for things that fit inside a small carrier bag or backpack? Still though, not many people are using it for small stuff and I doubt they're putting off much custom by not having a Moor-facing entrance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Not only Wickes affected. All throughout the setting up of the CAZ, SMC bike shop said it would adversely affect his business because people wouldnt transport the bikes into the city for the 100 metres or so his shop was in CAZ for

He even set up a system to collect the bikes at his expense. 

They close on August 31 due to drop in trade

Via Moto on Shoreham St are moving to Barnsley directly citing the charges levied on him by his suppliers for delivering to him making the business unsustainable.

but hey ho, CAZ works

except it doesnt

this is the reason smc are closing 

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2024/april/smc-motorcycles-to-close-after-20-years/

1 hour ago, Top4719 said:

That doesn't give a reason why it's closing at all.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2024/april/smc-motorcycles-to-close-after-20-years/

"owner Frank Hayes says it’s time to say goodbye. 

Hayes said: “I’ve had some fantastic times and I’ve loved the industry. It’s been 100mph, we grew this to be a monster and what I’m wanting to do now is spend more time with the family. I want to pursue other things. "

Sheffield Wickes Site likely to be Transformed into Housing Development

The site of the soon-to-close Wickes store on Moore Street in Sheffield is set for a significant transformation. Sheffield City Council has earmarked the location for a major residential development as part of its long-term urban regeneration strategy.

New Housing Plans

The Wickes site, located near The Moor, is designated as a priority location for housing in Sheffield's Local Plan, as previously noted in the ‘Moorfoot Masterplan’ thread.

IMG_4550.jpeg

According to the plan, the site is expected to deliver 364 new flats. This move aligns with the council's broader vision to rejuvenate the city centre and accommodate significant residential growth.

A planning appraisal for the site states: “Given its position within a Flexible Use Zone, loss of the existing retail use is acceptable.” This indicates a strategic shift from commercial to residential use, aiming to maximize the area’s potential for housing.

Strategic Urban Development

The redevelopment of the Wickes site is part of Sheffield City Council's ambitious Local Plan, which guides the city’s future development up to 2039. The plan identifies the Moorfoot area as having the potential to become a new residential neighbourhood. It estimates that 2,180 new flats could be created in this area alone, including 714 in the council’s Moorfoot offices.

Overall, the council aims to create 18,465 homes in the central area between 2022 and 2039, anticipating an influx of 35,000 new residents. This initiative is a crucial element of the city's strategy to address housing shortages and promote urban living.

Broader Regeneration Efforts

The potential redevelopment of the Wickes site is just one aspect of a larger effort to revitalise Sheffield’s city centre.

The Local Plan includes three major masterplans for new residential neighbourhoods: Sheffield Station Campus, Moorfoot, and Furnace Hill and Neepsend. These plans, developed in collaboration with Homes England, aim to provide almost 3,000 new homes and support various commercial and cultural activities.

Council leader Tom Hunt emphasized the importance of these projects in bringing life back to the city centre. He stated that the plans are part of a vision to build a variety of housing types, including affordable family homes, in the city centre.

Challenges and Opportunities

While the closure of Wickes has raised concerns about the impact of the Clean Air Zone on local businesses, the planned transformation of the site into a residential area would reflect the broader shift towards sustainable urban development.

The council's initiative to repurpose commercial spaces for housing is seen as a strategic move to meet the growing demand for residential properties in Sheffield whilst ensuring a viable and sustainable city centre.

17 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I've used Wickes plenty of times for things that fit inside a small carrier bag or backpack? Still though, not many people are using it for small stuff and I doubt they're putting off much custom by not having a Moor-facing entrance.

Same here.

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

"owner Frank Hayes says it’s time to say goodbye. 

Hayes said: “I’ve had some fantastic times and I’ve loved the industry. It’s been 100mph, we grew this to be a monster and what I’m wanting to do now is spend more time with the family. I want to pursue other things. "

Thats a person stepping down not a reason the business is closing.