17 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

People having garden fencing erected with these new gravel boards at the bottom can't be helping, they leave no room for the hedgehogs to squeeze through on their nightime travels. They need to make these gravel boards with a small archway or hole (seriously) to allow the hedgehogs to get through!

They do make some like that . 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

They do make some like that . 

I didn't realise, good to know! Hopefully, people will use them more and not be fretting about the cat next door getting through. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed more hedgehogs this year (including a couple run over unfortunately). Our street is generally quite eco-minded, so I don't know if that has helped create the conditions for more of them to thrive - I hope so, because it's great having them in the garden.

• Like 1

Along with other neighbours we have created a 12 foot wide wild garden and hedge row ,   The whole area is around 50 foot  long with over grown plants , climbers, thistles and grasses of every description ,    The open area that fronts this hedge comes alive at night time . we can sit in the window and see foxes,  Hedge hogs and so on , these wild creatures are often in the company of local cats who seem to get on with the ensemble ,   In the middle of the hedge unseen from the road is a small pond that has been taken over by frogs , these frogs have produced tad poles for the last three years so we now have them hopping around as well . Its magic.

• Like 4