Colin Pitchfork parole hearing to be held in private after 'fresh allegations'

The killer was jailed for life for the rape and murder of two schoolgirls, and it was ruled in December he was too much of a risk to be released. However, a parole hearing will reconsider that decision.

Double child killer Colin Pitchfork's next parole hearing will no longer be held in public after "fresh allegations" emerged, the Parole Board has said.

Pitchfork, who is aged 64, was jailed for life in 1988 for the rape and murder of two 15-year-old girls, Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth, in Leicestershire in 1983 and 1986.

The Parole Board said the parole hearing would no longer be held in public following "fresh allegations in respect of relatively recent conduct", and apologised for the "increased stress" on the victims' families.

The hearing, which was due to take place this month, will now be relisted to be heard in private "in due course".

Your thoughts?

https://news.sky.com/story/colin-pitchfork-parole-hearing-to-be-held-in-private-after-fresh-allegations-13176730

Who thinks it's a good idea to let this dude out of jail?!

I remember reading this book when it came out and can't imagine the terror those girls felt and what they went through.  Life means LIFE.  Lock this monster up once and for all and throw away the key! No more chances, he's already demonstrated he can't be trusted.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sierra said:

There was something about that in the book. In fact, another young man had been arrested for the murders but DNA evidence pointed to Colin Pitchfork. 

IIRC Pitchfork was with his mates in a pub and he told them he'd got someone else to take his DNA test. A man overheard this and reported it to the police.

• Like 1

Yes!  I want to say Colin Pitchfork worked in a bakery?  He somehow  bamboozled a coworker into taking the test for him with a sad story about how he had helped out a mate and couldn't take the test twice. 

Amazing how guys like this are such slick talkers.  Wasn't he also married with children? I wonder what happened to his former wife and kids? 

As far as I understand matters life imprisonment was imposed on those that would have faced the death penalty. Both sentences ensured that the guilty could never commit any more of their terrible crimes, so where does ‘early release’ come in the order of protecting the innocent?

A psychiatric report prepared for the court described Pitchfork as possessing a psychopathic personality disorder accompanied with a serious psychosexual pathology. The Lord Chief Justice at the time of his sentencing said: "From the point of view of the safety of the public I doubt if he should ever be released."