Prescriptions, feeling agreived/scammed

32 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Excuse me , why would you be prescribed antibiotics for abdominal pains ?  GPS have strict protocol when prescribing Antibiotics due to an increase in immunity to them because of over prescribing . I do agree though , that costs are bad 

Because of what is causing the abdominal pains, of which anti-biotics is the first step of treatment. 

22 hours ago, Wing Commander said:

Yes all taxpayers have made contributions which help to fund the NHS.  Surely if you have paid 50 years of national insurance then you no longer pay for your prescriptions because you're over 60 years of age?  

That is not the point. The point is someone said it was free.

21 minutes ago, Wing Commander said:

Government literature lists who is entitled to free prescriptions.   The government use the term free.

There's a quick checker on the NHS site.

Always worth checking with G.P or Consultants about whether you're eligible as some conditions aren't obvious on Gov. and NHS info sites. 

https://check-for-help-paying-nhs-costs.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/result

I've several conditions that I get free prescriptions including TRT treatment.

https://www.pituitary.org.uk/information/prescription-charges/

We happily pay and have paid  a shed load of Taxes, but I'm quite aware I get more than my monies worth back in treatments, than an average person,  whilst I'm still able to work, which is getting harder by the week these days, i'm almost broken, but hanging in there. Thanks to NHS and G.P services, or  I'd have been at the knackers yard by now.

Interesting Letter about costsings here on a G.P surgery site.

https://www.deepcarmedicalcentre.co.uk/2024/06/24/letter-from-the-sheffield-lmc/

• Like 2

On 12/07/2024 at 17:59, Resident said:

Is it wrong to feel agreived and even scammed regarding prescriptions.

Just been to the docs for abdominal pains, prescribed 2 lot of antibiotics (due to allergies) & paid the princely sum of £20 because I work.

Yet if I were a dole squatting, oxygen theiving, resource drain on society, they'd have been free.

Surely that's backwards? I pay thousands a year in taxes to pay for healthcare services already, shouldn't I be the one recieving "free" medication having techinically already paid for it?

I payed into system for years now finally get my prescriptions free never been to doctors as much 🤒

In 1952 I was taken in hospital and operated on for a diseased tibia.

I was in for 6weeks. Antibiotics had just made an appearance and I had penicillin injections,4 times a day and then a brand new drug aureomycin.My dad was told the treatment cost £300 about£6700 in todays money.

In1963 I was in again same disease, same treatment

1966 and 1967 in again.

The daughter of my dad's friend had the same disease  but long before antibiotics had been discovered.

She was crippled,

NHS 1948 introduced

My  wife told me that she remembered that her mum called the doctor out to tend to my wife'sister .

Doctor said on leaving "I ll call again tomorrow".

No, don't bother her mum said

She couldn't  afford the fee, 2/6   12.5p

This was before 1948

I will NEVER complain at the cost of theNHS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davyboy said:

In 1952 I was taken in hospital and operated on for a diseased tibia.

I was in for 6weeks. Antibiotics had just made an appearance and I had penicillin injections,4 times a day and then a brand new drug aureomycin.My dad was told the treatment cost £300 about£6700 in todays money.

In1963 I was in again same disease, same treatment

1966 and 1967 in again.

The daughter of my dad's friend had the same disease  but long before antibiotics had been discovered.

She was crippled,

NHS 1948 introduced

My  wife told me that she remembered that her mum called the doctor out to tend to my wife'sister .

Doctor said on leaving "I ll call again tomorrow".

No, don't bother her mum said

She couldn't  afford the fee, 2/6   12.5p

This was before 1948

I will NEVER complain at the cost of theNHS

in 1953 not 1963

9 hours ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

Interesting Letter about costsings here on a G.P surgery site.

https://www.deepcarmedicalcentre.co.uk/2024/06/24/letter-from-the-sheffield-lmc/

Quote - "Your practice receives just £107.57 per year for each patient, or 30 pence per day – less than the cost of an apple."

That doesn't sound like much, I assume that figure is roughly correct for the whole of the UK? It costs me more than £50 per year at the NHS dentists.