Battle Of Orgreave Enquiry

It looks likely that a Labour government will allow this. Rights and wrongs aside 40 years is a long

time to hold a grudge, most of those that made the decisions are very likely dead, surely there are far more current matters that require attention.:huh:

• Like 3

I'd say 'holding a grudge' and 'wanting justice' are two very different things. There are many who argue that the police's ability to lie about what they did at Orgreave and get away with it led to them doing the same with Hillsborough. It's a boil that needs lancing.

• Like 4

I think he truth is important. It matters to a lot of people, even years later.

Remember the North of England's general decline began with the deliberate demise of industry, and has never really recovered. That public opinion was manipulated by the government to allow it to happen was dishonest to say the least and an insult to workers everywhere. So much for democracy. It also heralded the demise of the Unions, so sorely needed today.... 

We are all paying the price even now.

A public enquiry is necessary. But what they are going to do about it is anyone's guess. You can't turn the clock back.

• Like 2

The Unions still seem to have a lot of power.  There was  a six week bus strike in the north-east just before Christmas, it was like the lockdown all over again. We have also seen the disruption that unions have caused with train strikes and also the doctors strike.  I was beginning to think that the unions were running the country and not the government.

I think it’s a waste of money holding an inquest, is it going to open old wounds?

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I think it’s a waste of money holding an inquest, is it going to open old wounds?

You are probably correct - who remembers, with clarity, what happened 40 years ago?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

I'd say 'holding a grudge' and 'wanting justice' are two very different things. There are many who argue that the police's ability to lie about what they did at Orgreave and get away with it led to them doing the same with Hillsborough. It's a boil that needs lancing.

But what justice is there to receive? This is similar to finding somebody guilty of a crime years after the event and when mortality has taken it’s toll. By all means put the money that an enquiry would cost into something that would do some good.

Good luck taking statements from the dead.  The people in control and making the decisions, have passed away.

You won't get anything that a documentary crew couldn't get.  I hope that's going to be enough.

Edited by geared
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

But what justice is there to receive? This is similar to finding somebody guilty of a crime years after the event and when mortality has taken it’s toll. By all means put the money that an enquiry would cost into something that would do some good.

Well, justice is a feeling, isn't it? A sense of being seen and heard - it doesn't always require something to change. 

As for why the enquiry is finally happening, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Starmer's way of throwing some crumbs to people on the left of the Labour Party who he deceived in his leadership election bid.