Is providing D licence or passport to join a forum going too far?

I have used the Pre Loved site for occasionally buying  or selling items for over 10 years. They are now wanting Driving licence or passport Identity to be uploaded. Is this a thing now with websites? 

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

I have used the Pre Loved site for occasionally buying  or selling items for over 10 years. They are now wanting Driving licence or passport Identity to be uploaded. Is this a thing now with websites? 

I hear Facebook ask for Id when creating an account these days. Not sure it that's true as I started mine a long while ago but that's what I hear. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

Right or wrong, I am not keen on the idea of uploading such documents when we hear so much about scammers, hackers and fraudsters. 

Tbh it would definitely put me off joining a forum or any website if I had to supply a passport or DL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Janus said:

Right or wrong, I am not keen on the idea of uploading such documents when we hear so much about scammers, hackers and fraudsters

But that is part of the reason why they are asking for ID documents in the first place. 

There's been numerous tales about fake profiles, dupes and scammers using these sorts of social media sites.   There's also been lots of heavy-handed press and legislation pushing the burden on the operators of such sites to clamp down and tighten their controls.

At the end of the day, behind the friendly face of the web page this is trading and reselling.  Some users are doing it on an industrial scale - even bragging about how much they are making from their 'sideline incomes'

I can fully understand the operators of these sites wanting to make sure that their sellers are legitimate and who they are, especially if there needs to be some future investigation as to exactly where the goods are coming from.

It's not that much different from when the second hand trading places, pawnbrokers or even jewellers will always ask for ID whenever they are going to do some trade or resell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Tbh it would definitely put me off joining a forum or any website if I had to supply a passport or DL. 

Absolutely. 

I fully understand that. If the photo Driving license is put online, not only is their driver number, but also their full name, their date of birth and full address and photo.

Pre scammed can do one

19 hours ago, melthebell said:

it is for me....cos i dont own a driving license or a passport

And that is exactly what is wrong with it. Its just the same as making life impossible for people who don't want a smartphone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be very concerned about any forum that required such personal information, perhaps a reference on the forum’s legitimacy from a area of recognised trust would convince me. :huh:

• Like 1