Intake/Arburthorne in the 40s and 50s

Hi, I'm writing this on behalf of my dad Brian Walker (who has dementia) in the hope that there may be one or two people still tottering on(!) who may remember these areas in that era. Some further detail of names and places below... 

Born in 1931, his schools were Lydgate lane school when they lived in Crosspool/Walkley, then when they moved to Hurlfield Road, Prince Henry's at Manor Top, and then Woodhouse Grammar (headmaster RJ - or RL - Evans). His mother Gladys played the piano for silent movies in town and his father Arnold was organist/choirmaster at Arburthorne St Pauls CofE church. His grandfather Ernest Jones ran the Orpheus Male Voice Choir.  My dad was a member of City Comic opera and Handsworth Light Opera, and we have programmes of operettas he was in - none that are done anymore of course! , eg Wild Violets, Lilac Domino, Dogs of Devon etc! The musical director was Gertrude Stockill and accompanist was David Heward (Gladys's cousin). 

I have a lot of other info gleaned from notes he wrote years ago (thank god) so can put them in future posts, but if there is anyone with any memories of any of the above - places or names - it would be fabulous to share them with him and see if we get a glint of recognition 🙏 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I lived a short walk away from you ,   Where on Hurlfield Road did they live ?  The school at the Manor Top was Prince Edwards not Henry by the way  . Welcome to the forum .

Thanks cuttsie. Yes my mistake, Prince Edwards. They lived at no. 59. My dad used to jump over the wall at the end of the garden to go to Scouts (next to the vicarage I think). Neighbours were Biggin and Rhodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alextopman said:

He will have gone to Woodhouse school with several of family.

I think he was there from 1942 to 1947.  A while ago I managed to get the following from him about teachers there.. 

Mr Mitchell maths teacher

Mr Langrish? Chemistry

Miss Wilson, music

Miss Chesters French teacher

Mr Monteith, maths teacher

Mr Siddall, middle juniors

I've tried to seek out photos but not sure if any go back far enough! 

18 minutes ago, Ivorytickler said:

I think he was there from 1942 to 1947.  A while ago I managed to get the following from him about teachers there.. 

Mr Mitchell maths teacher

Mr Langrish? Chemistry

Miss Wilson, music

Miss Chesters French teacher

Mr Monteith, maths teacher

Mr Siddall, middle juniors

I've tried to seek out photos but not sure if any go back far enough! 

Some photos from the 40's in the star archives.....

Never before seen archive pictures revealed showing Sheffield's amateur dramatic groups going back more than a century (thestar.co.uk)

5 hours ago, Ivorytickler said:

Thanks cuttsie. Yes my mistake, Prince Edwards. They lived at no. 59. My dad used to jump over the wall at the end of the garden to go to Scouts (next to the vicarage I think). Neighbours were Biggin and Rhodes.

That would be the Roman Catholic vicerage . Father Richards . He used to give me a Woodbine  cigarette when I was delivering the Star paper .Never understood why he Did that .