Trump assassination attempt.

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

I can’t understand anyone wanting to assassinate a democratically elected/nominated politician, the ballot box is the place to vent your wrath, take away the right to vote for your choice and we’re in the likes of Russia, best watch your back Comrade Putin!

The candidates here are preselected before we ever get any say in the matter, just the same as in Russia who also have 'democratically elected' candidates.

When a wild card (usually independents) enter the fray unsupported by any party, they have almost no chance of being elected, especially with our ridiculous FPTP system. Unless they are famous for some reason or rich enough to buy publicity they will get no media coverage.

In the case of Trump he is a wild card who has both fame and money enough to get himself elected, much to the chagrin of the powerful and influential in America who don't like him because he isn't a part of the club, and risks putting a stop to their pet projects and corrupt business interests. That said, he probably has quite a few of his own.

He has enemies on all sides, but is popular with the voters who like his bluntness and straight talking manner which often chimes with their own thinking. But that scares the bejesus out of the other politicians who are very afraid of him and his policies.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cressida said:

BYstanders warned security men there was a shooter on the roof,  they were ignored!

A man on the roof of a building holding an automatic weapon, so what’s the problem, this is America after all? 😉

32 minutes ago, Anna B said:

He has enemies on all sides, but is popular with the voters who like his bluntness and straight talking manner which often chimes with their own thinking. But that scares the bejesus out of the other politicians who are very afraid of him and his policies.

In the USA turnout is around 50%, so around 26% of the electorate supports him.

If it's like the UK, there may be 10% that are not registered to vote, so his support may be as low as 20% of the population.

Please vote, democracy matters.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Just been chatting with a friend. He reckons there's a plot to assassinate Biden and blame it on the MAGA lot.

You're thoughts?

tbh i did think "the maga lot" might try and assassinate Biden in revenge, its weird how we think alike but differently 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

The candidates here are preselected before we ever get any say in the matter, just the same as in Russia who also have 'democratically elected' candidates.

When a wild card (usually independents) enter the fray unsupported by any party, they have almost no chance of being elected, especially with our ridiculous FPTP system. Unless they are famous for some reason or rich enough to buy publicity they will get no media coverage.

In the case of Trump he is a wild card who has both fame and money enough to get himself elected, much to the chagrin of the powerful and influential in America who don't like him because he isn't a part of the club, and risks putting a stop to their pet projects and corrupt business interests. That said, he probably has quite a few of his own.

Nail on head Anna.

Good post.

I've not reads the whole of this thread, so I hope I'm not duplicating something already said.

If it's possible to walk into a gun shop and come out with a high powered rifle capable of hitting a target X metres away, then surely that should be the minimum radius of security. The most powerful weapon 's range should determine the security zone.

A few years ago I bought the Sam Bourne paperback "To Kill the President" - almost a manual for assassins.

2 hours ago, Hopman said:

If it's possible to walk into a gun shop and come out with a high powered rifle capable of hitting a target X metres away, then surely that should be the minimum radius of security. The most powerful weapon 's range should determine the security zone.

It's perhaps easier to just do their performances behind a bulletproof screen, but with the same security as now. 

-

I only saw a little about this story but saw so many comments from the left online that disgust me (jokes, I mean).  These people don't realise they're their own worst enemy. The west is slowly going out of control, I think (but this is just a quick comment).

-

Also to earlier comments about visiting USA... I've been, nice people wherever I went. 

• Like 2

Well I've watched many videos, watched interviews etc and one thing seems clear. Secret service either stitched Trump up or are so incompetent they aren't fit for purpose. 

• Like 2

Republicans: "the assassination attempt on Trump is the fault of woke leftists calling Trump the new Hitler!"

New vice president J.D. Vance once called Trump 'America's Hitler'

• Sad 1